Chapter 26

A week passed, then two. We didn't hear from Lucas but neither Ace or Creston seemed concerned. Mainly because they had faith in Lucas but also because the school year was drawing to a close and their minds were focused on much more important things. Note my sarcasm.

    Time has quite literally flown since I arrived in Barren Valley and now here I am, stepping into these hallways for the last time on the last day in my last semester of high school. It all seemed so surreal as though it weren't actually happening to me, I was just watching it happen to someone else. However, it was happening to me. I was living this life and now, my childhood was officially ending.

    I have absolutely no plans for the fall so I guess I'll be taking a year off while I try to figure out what to do with my life. But all those concerns could wait for another time. Today was a momentous occasion, marking the end to one era and the start to another. For two whole months, Ace and I will be able to lounge around with no worries except for how we should spend our summer. Luckily, he has no plans for the fall yet either so we're in the same boat.

    The same sinking boat.

    "Bunny!" I heard a voice shout from my left as I entered the senior hallway. I lifted my gaze in just enough time to see a broad chest racing towards me. Then I was airborne as Ace lifted me into his arms with a hearty laugh, "Good morning, graduate."

    I laughed and hugged him back as my feet met the floor once more, "Morning, fellow graduate. You seem especially happy this morning."

    "Of course I am! How does it feel to be here for the very last time? To know we beat this hellhole?" Ace shouted this last part, gaining a few stares from those around us. But I was getting used to the looks. Being with Ace meant that people stared, a lot, and I was okay with that. My panic attacks were far and few between, giving my heart some much deserved and much needed rest.

    All the same, I placed my hand over his mouth with a laugh of my own, "They can still keep you from crossing the stage, you know, if you don't behave."

    His happiness drooped with what looked to be a pout, "Why won't you come? You're going to miss all the fun."

    "How about you make it up to me?" I asked quietly, testing out my flirtation ability. It still wasn't great but it was getting so much better compared to where I started. I stepped into him, running my finger down the length of his chest, "A few more nights at the pond perhaps? And a couple at the drive-in too?"

    "Anything you ask, Bunny, consider it done." Ace responded, then lowered his head and planted an over dramatic kiss on my lips, in front of everyone, "But trust me, my plans for this summer will definitely make it up to you ... and more."

    Giddy shivers crept up my spine, drowning out the fear that Holly might be lurking somewhere nearby. The thought of what Ace might be referring to had my insides melting. There were so many possibilities, so many ... activities. Sure, we'll be stuck in a sandbox for the entirety of the summer, dealing with crazy old town folk and rumors up the wazoo but none of that registered in my brain. In fact, none of it bothered me at all.

    Only two things mattered.

    Me and Ace.

    Abruptly, a loud shriek sounded from down the hall. All heads turned, expectantly, towards where one of our math teachers was staring in utter shock at the desks in her room. All piled nicely atop one another. Loud, uncontrollable laughter exploded throughout the hall.

    "Let the senior pranks begin." Ace chuckled in my ear before steering me away, just as the teacher began demanding to know the culprits of this 'disruption'.