Chapter 24

Sunlight streamed in through my window the next morning, lazily roaming over the contents of my room. I yawned and stretched, feeling my muscles ache in pleasure at the pull. When I cracked my eyes open, I found a rather attractive young man sleeping next to me, eyes closed and mouth parted.

    Jeez, he was gorgeous. His hair flopped to one side which allowed my eyes to outline the sharp edge of his jaw and the hint of stubble growing along the length of it. One of his arms was tucked under my head for support and his other was bent behind his own. With his arm in that position, it caused his shirt to ride up, revealing a small patch of heavenly torso solidified by toned muscles.

    I moved in closer to him, gingerly resting one arm over his stomach. I waited to see if he'd awaken but when his eyes remained closed, I tightened my grip and pulled myself closer. As creepy as it may be, I watched him sleep for a long time. He looked so calm like this, so peaceful. It was a look my jealousy took prisoner because I don't think I've ever felt that serene. Even when asleep, my nightmares drove me to near insanity. But Ace lay before me, completely oblivious to the world around him.

    I wanted him to stay this way, to stay asleep and calm. Ace has been through so much in his lifetime, he deserved to have a little peace. He deserved it more than anyone yet it was he who burdened the biggest dangers. First with his father and now with Vic and Roman. They will never let him go but Ace will never give in, meaning this conflict will only end once they're dead or Ace is.

    My head fell on his chest lightly as I hugged him. At my touch, Ace shifted in his sleep, sighing in content. His arm under my head moved to wrap around my waist and his face bowed toward my head, breathing me in. I never wanted to move. I'd stay in his arms forever if it were possible. This warmth from his body, the hint of a smile on his mouth, and the way my curves fit perfectly with his, it all added to the irrefutable fact that Ace and I were meant to be together. So why did it all have to be so complicated? Why can't things just be easy?

    Why did Jason have the worst timing possible?

    "Gen?" My brother called as his knuckles rapped on my door, "You awake?"

    My panic kicked in, my muscles reacted, and suddenly Ace was on the floor.

    Again.

    The door opened and Jason stepped in, stopping only once his eyes landed on Ace who was slowly pushing himself into a sitting position with a groggy moan still layered with sleep. Jason looked towards me then back to Ace, his eyebrows raised, "Why are you always on the floor?"

    Ace rubbed at the back of head before shooting me a glare, "That's a really good question."

    I only shrugged, providing them both with a sweet smile that would surely derail any suspicions. Jason crossed his arms loosely before nodding, "Um ... okay then. Well, grandma is waiting downstairs. She wants to talk to you Ace, something about you parking your truck on her petunias?"

    "Fuck, I thought I missed them." Ace groaned, laying back down on the floor. He then reached up and snatched a pillow from my bed before placing it over his face.

    Jason stared down at him, "What are you doing?"

    "Committing suffocation. Maggie is going to kill me anyways so I might as well go out on my own terms, in a much less painful way." Ace explained, letting both his arms fall on top of the pillow. How cute, he actually thought he could get out of this one. Grandma would bring Ace back from the dead just to kill him herself for ruining her petunias if she had to.

    "If you don't get going, she'll come up here and kill us all. Sorry bro, take one for the team." Jason laughed. Ace sighed once more before pushing the pillow away and standing up. He reached his hands up high, stretching then rubbing at his back.