Chapter 29

"It doesn't look that bad, Gen." Jason informed, lifting the bulky blue cast on my hand so he could inspect the doctor's handiwork. Despite what my brother said, the damn thing looked beastly. It cupped around my fingers to keep them from moving then stretched down the length of my arm to steady my wrist as well. It was ugly, and hard, and heavy.

"I think it makes you look tough, baby girl." Grandma commented, patting the cast as Jason set my arm back down on the hospital bed, "And look at it this way, if anyone ever tries hurtin' you again, you can bash their brains in with my full support."

That thought made me shiver. I didn't want to think about Vic or Roman ever again. I wanted them to disappear, leave, vanish, die. Whatever it takes. Every time I close my eyes, all I see is Vic smiling as his boot hangs over me like a vulture ready to attack. And the sound of their laughs, like ghostly echos scaring my mind. I couldn't get away from it, or them.

The door across the room opened just then as the doctor strolled in. He smiled when he saw me sitting up in the bed, "Awake I see, very good. I figured you'd be out for another few hours at least. How's the hand?"

I glared down upon the cast and shrugged, "Fine I guess."

Jason and grandma returned to their spot on the wall as the doctor pulled up a chair next to the bed. He reached for my hand, inspecting the cast carefully as my brother had earlier, "I know it's not the prettiest sight to see but you should consider yourself lucky. This was a bad break Genevieve, I haven't seen many broken hands that looked like yours. Care to enlighten me on how it happened?"

Naturally I shook my head. I only told grandma and Jason the truth because they're family ... and they kind of forced it out of me. Grandma threatened to stop cooking and let me starve. While I doubt that she'd ever actually go through with her threat, I figured it'd be easier just to tell them.

But telling this doctor would be a mistake. I told him the truth ten years ago when he fixed my hand for the first time, neither he or the cops believed me. Why would now be any different?

The doctor sighed and shook his head, turning towards grandma, "Come on Maggie. You can't honestly condone this kind of secrecy."

Grandma shrugged her pajama clad shoulders, "I don't know what you're talkin' about, doc. I'm as clueless as you are."

The doctor gave her a look that showed he wasn't buying her lies, or mine, or anyone else's, "Fine. I can't force any of you to talk. But just know, broken bones are funny things. They don't always grow back the way you want them too."

Why did it feel like his warning wasn't only about broken bones? Nonetheless, I couldn't tell him how my hand came to look like something out of a Tim Burton film. Not only would he not believe me but Ace would get in trouble as well and we had enough problems to worry about.

"Thank you, for fixing me." I told the doctor.

He offered a small smile, "Of course. Just try to stay in one piece until it heals, okay?"

I nodded.

"Also, I feel I should mention it to you before the nurse comes in. We have to keep you overnight." At his words, grandma and Jason pushed away from the wall to stand directly at my bedside. The doctor rose his hands lightly, "No need to be alarmed. While Genevieve was unconscious we ran a few standard tests and found that her heart is under high amounts of distress. We want to keep her overnight to monitor the problem but she should be free to leave tomorrow morning."

Grandma let out a long sigh of relief as did my brother. We should have told the doctor that my heart has been in distress for basically a decade but that would only cause further trouble. Grandma thanked the doctor quickly and sent him on his way before he could ask any other questions.