Chapter 23

The rest of that evening was spent talking ... and kissing. Mostly talking ... but also kissing.

It felt so natural to have him here, sitting on my bed while we covered every topic under the sun. There have been days where all we've done is talk but this afternoon was different, and not just because of the kissing. The chasm between Ace and I was gone. I felt entirely at ease with him, no fear of what he was hiding. He's told me the worst of it so the rest just came pouring out.

We laughed for the most part though there were times during our conversation where we both sat in somber silence. That silence never lasted long enough to ruin our elated moods and soon enough I found myself laughing once more. Ace had that ability, to make every topic seem carefree.

At one point, I even forgot that Ace was being forced against his will to join a gang. However, my ignorance didn't last long.

As day faded to night and the land was overthrown by shadows, Ace and I laid down to sleep. Yes, sleep. Only sleep. We've both had very long days, we both were exhausted. Tomorrow was Saturday which meant we could sleep in and just enjoy each other's company. So long as my brother or grandma don't ruin it. Surprisingly, neither of them came up to check on me. Maybe because they knew I was safe in Ace's care. Or in Jason's case, maybe it was because he didn't care.

Jason has been distant ever since I told him what happened between Ace and I while he was still dating Holly. My brother took that hard. The girl he loved with all his heart betrayed him in the same way, he knew what Holly was going through. Thus explaining his distance from me.

But as I've been telling myself, I deserve to be happy too. I felt awful for what we did to Holly, downright terrible. But Ace had a very good point; if he loved her as my brother had loved his girlfriend, then he wouldn't have kissed me. Lady had a good point too; maybe in a year or two, Ace would find someone else he loves more and kiss them. I'll be crushed, devastated. But in the end, all I want is for Ace to be happy. That's all I've ever wanted. If he's happier with another, then I'll let him go.

That's my burden but it's one I bare willingly and proudly.

"Goodnight, Bunny." I heard Ace whisper into my ear from behind. Again, I was encased within his arms. I felt his chest pressed against my back and his legs tangled with mine. One arm rested over the curve between my hips and ribcage while his other was propped under my head for support. He was warm to the touch, hotter to the thought, and I had to remind myself to answer him before I started drooling.

"Goodnight." I replied quietly, snuggling closer to him without realizing my actions. He only leaned closer and placed a soft kiss against the back of my head.

No more candles appeared which had me cheering internally because though Ace hid it well, I'm pretty sure they freaked him out. They freaked me out too but I had to live here so my options of retaliation were limited at best. But with Ace here, holding me so tightly against him, I wasn't afraid. Not of the candles, or Jason, or monsters who beat their sons. I was fearless, immortal.

But let me ask you something, have you ever heard of the phrase 'spoke too soon'?

Well, I just did.

Because as soon as I was able to calm down enough to actually fall asleep, my mind launched me into a nightmare, one I haven't relived in years. A nightmare that abolished that fearlessness in a matter of seconds.

Ace sat on the swing beside me, his finger poking at a fresh bruise, oblivious to the world around him. This one was dark, more so than the one on his back from last week. And I could see a fresh cut on his cheek from where that monster no doubt hit him with a ring on. It made me angry to see him so hurt but it made me angrier that no one would help him.