Chapter 22

I had to be dreaming. That was the only explanation. I had to be dreaming.

But I wasn't.

Ace was really standing in front of me, his hands at my hips, his mouth against mine. Kissing me. Ace Hunt was kissing me.

There's a sentence I never thought I'd say.

He was so good at it too. My body was experiencing things I've never felt before, things I didn't even know were possible to feel from another person's actions. The way his mouth moved, and his hands, and his body, all of it effected me in ways I couldn't fully comprehend without melting into his touch. The condition of my body due to his touch was extraordinary and terrifying all at once.

And the sounds that rolled from the back of his throat every few minutes had me weak at the knees ... and everywhere else.

I can't remember how long we've been kissing, I've lost track of time. I've lost track of all my senses. The world around me seemed to freeze, allowing just this one perfect moment to exist between Ace and I. A moment that I desperately wanted to last forever.

But like all good things, this too must come to an end.

I was the one to break the kiss, not that I could go far considering I was trapped between a wall and Ace's body. Trapped between a wall and perfection, actually. My lungs burned for air and my body needed a break from Ace or else I'd surely collapse. Death by kissing, that would be an interesting newspaper headline.

Ace breathed heavily as well, laughing between breaths, "Damn, you've been holding out on me, Gen."

He was joking right? Me good at kissing? This was only the third time I've ever done it.

Wow ... this was only the third time I've ever kissed anyone. In my entire life. I spent eighteen years never knowing what kissing could be like and Vic certainly didn't assist in swaying my mind. But kissing Ace was so different from kissing Vic.

It was consensual for starters.

But it went much farther than that, to a realm where candles being lit by shadows was an everyday occurrence and fathers actually loved their sons. A place where we didn't have to worry about danger or violence or gangs jeopardizing our safety. Kissing Ace was like floating on air or drinking a 'non-alcoholic' lemonade, it twisted everything into visions of rose. This might only be my third time kissing someone but it was quickly becoming my favorite hobby.

Still, when Ace leaned back in for more, I had to stop him. My breath was still ragged, as was his. My hands were shaking, my knees threatened to buckle, and the rate of my pulse couldn't be healthy. In fact, my heart was starting to hurt due to the insane amount of pressure I've been under in just the past twenty minutes. Between arguing with Ace then kissing him, my poor heart didn't know whether to flood me with fear or excitement.

"I'm sorry." I told him in breathy tones, placing a hand on his chest to keep him from closing in on me once more, "We're just moving ... fast."

He nodded, backing off instantly as though he somehow overstepped unspoken boundaries, "Of course. I'm sorry, I just lost control for a second. My bad."

No, not his bad. I understood, more than he'd ever know. But I was still relieved when he stepped backwards, letting fresh oxygen into my brain so I could think clearly. With wobbly legs, I made it back to my bed before collapsing onto the covers in a fit of uncontrollable giggles. Why did I feel so giddy? This warmth buzzing through my body, was that natural? Was I supposed to be so light headed?

I didn't realize the goofy smile on my face until Ace commented from where he was leaning against the wall, "Care to enlighten me on what's going through that head of yours?"