Chapter 18

"I promise Bunny, that's it." Ace declared yet again, laughing at the funny look I apparently wore. While I was glad Ace seemed to be in a better mood than early, I didn't find this topic funny. Ace was being forced to join a gang, Creston was in the same shitty boat, Holly was doing what she could under such awful circumstances, and now I had to stay out of Vic's line of sight or risk being assaulted again. None of this was a laughing matter.

    My fingers twisted in my lap, "I trust you ... I just want to make sure you feel like you can trust me."

    Ace's head tilted sideways, "I do trust you. I always have, more than anyone else."

    If that were true, he would have told me long ago about the gang. He was trying to keep me safe, away from danger, and I appreciated his efforts. But I didn't want to be protected anymore. Ace has been protecting me since the day I met him as kids. So who was protecting him? Certainly not his mother or his father. If a child can't count on their own parents, who could they count on?

    Of course, I couldn't tell Ace any of this. He'd only reassure me that his childhood wasn't that bad, that he's still alive so all is well.

    "You're worrying too much about this." Ace insisted, laying down in the grass with his hands folded behind his head, "I've got everything under control."

    No he didn't. He had all of this under control as well as I had my public speaking under control. I didn't answer him because there were no words to describe how I felt at the moment but my mind ran through several heavily worded sentences that I could throw his way if I so chose. But Ace was my weakness in the same way that I was his. He couldn't say no to me, and I couldn't watch him self destruct.

    "I think I should go home now." I eventually said, keeping my eyes cast downward so Ace wouldn't see how they swam in borderline helplessness. He did what I asked, he told me what I wanted to know. But my candles were right, ignorance is bliss.

    Ace nodded, pushing himself back up, "Yeah, I guess that's probably a good idea. Unfortunately, I can't take you back. There's some stuff here that I have to clear up with the other council members. But Creston is waiting in the parking lot for you. He'll take you home, okay?"

    While my internal urge to spend more time with Ace rose it's ugly head, maybe some space would be best. I needed time to wrap my head around everything I've just been told and Ace needed time to figure out what the hell he was doing with his life. My own life was fucked up, I knew that much for sure. But I didn't have gang bangers forcing me to join their little club. So at least I had that going for me.

    Ace stood up first, helping me to my feet as well. He smiled down at me, my favorite dimple appearing, "You know what, I feel better. I'm glad I told you. I'm not saying this was a good decision on either of our behalf but at least I don't have to hide it anymore."

    I gave him my best impression of a smile and nodded, "Yeah. I agree."

    He led me back towards the parking lot but the dirt path I found so memorizing on the way here seemed far less mystical on the way back. Then again, I wasn't really focusing on the little things in that moment. My mind was burdened by so many thoughts that I couldn't afford to find the beauty in the things around me. It was impossible to do so when I was so concerned about whether Ace was going to live to see tomorrow or not.

    My eyes fell upon a truck that hadn't been parked next to Ace's when we got here. In the driver's seat sat a patient Creston who was busy fiddling with his phone. I turned towards Ace and smiled again, "I'll see you later, okay?"

    Ace scratched at the back of his head, "Actually, I have a thing tonight. Raincheck?"

    My heart dropped, "Sure."