Chapter 30

I approached the door slowly, forcing each step as though it were my last. Before me sat two doors, one that led to a hall which wrapped back around and would spit me out near my room, and one that led into the rehab facility.

Taking the door on the right would mean I could forget all of this. I could go back to my room, wait for Ace to show up, and decide whether to tell him about his mother or not. I could even keep quiet about my findings. Ace has gone three years without seeing her or barely even mentioning her. He's spent all this time on his own and to be completely honest, he's better off. The woman sitting on the other side of that door ruined his life.

But she ruined mine too. Taking the door on the left would lead me to answers, it had to. I'd confront her directly, demand to know why she never did a damn thing to stop her husband from beating their son and breaking my hand. She couldn't run away anymore, she was trapped in there like a lab rat. Ace's father was dead, my opportunities to find closure were fading. Ace made me feel safe when by my side but he couldn't protect me from the demons within.

So which door do I chose? One to spare Ace or one to spare myself? I could wait for him to come back but what if he didn't want to see her? What if he forbade me to see her? I don't know if I can spend the rest of my life knowing the chance to learn everything sat in reaching distance, and I just walked away.

My life has been full of mistakes, but this was one I couldn't risk. I was being selfish but for the first time in my life, it was only me I feared for. Turning my back might mean eternal suffering, unanswered questions for the rest of my life. Could I torture myself like that?

Would Ace ask me to?

Of course he wouldn't. He'd want me to be at peace with what happened. He keeps telling me to move on, well this is the way to do that. Ace wouldn't ask me to sacrifice my ignorance at the expense of keeping distance from his mom. He wouldn't want that.

Right?

My body seemed to decide for me before my mind had time to catch up. I placed my hand on the metal of the door and pushed it open, entering the rehab lobby.

One attendant sat at a desk, dressed in all white, as she examined paperwork laid out in front of her. Slowly, inch by inch, I made my way towards her desk. She glanced up at me over her glasses when I neared and blandly asked, "Name?"

My throat closed up but I scratched the words from the abyss that was my vocal capabilities, "Genevieve Moncrief."

She nodded, scribbling my name down onto a piece of paper, "And who are you here to see?"

Panic itched up my neck and heated my face. I searched for her name, what was it? I don't remember Ace ever mentioning it and his father never said it out loud. The women looked up at me expectantly, waiting impatiently for my answer. My nerves got the best of me and I blurted, "Mrs. Hunt."

The woman rose one perfectly waxed eyebrow, "We don't have any patients by that name."

Shit.

She became suspicious and asked again, "Who are you here to see?"

Without any other answer, I pointed to Ace's mother in the corner, "Her."

The woman followed my stare and spotted who I was referring to. Now both her eyebrows went up, "You're here to see Melinda Turner?" Melinda Turner? She must have gone back to her maiden name after Ace's father died. I nodded. The woman's mouth fell partially open, "No one has come to visit her since the day she arrived. Are you ... are you her child she always talks about?"

Why would her own child not know her name?

"Yes." I responded.

The woman offered a surprised but relieved smile, "Oh my. My, my, my. Oh goodness. Um, okay, well you'll need to sign here and wear a name tag while visiting."