Chapter 34

Ace went downstairs first. I wanted to go down as well to show everyone else, and myself, that this gap between Ace and I wasn't nearly as profound as it seemed. That we were both old enough to handle this like adults. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. The hardest part was over yet it still felt the like the hardest part was fast approaching.

Everyone will ask questions. They'll want to know why Ace and I weren't talking as much as we usually do, they'll want to know what happened and how it happened. This whole thing was my decision but having to explain it all over again would be too painful. It would just remind me of all the things Ace and I had ... but lost.

I buried myself under the blankets, hoping that maybe if I suffocated myself it would somehow take me back to a time before all the lies and fights. I wanted to be kids again. I wanted to sit on the swing set with Ace and just laugh, not worrying about his parents or mine or gang members or pain. Just sitting and smiling, pretending like the world was a good place and everyone got their 'happily ever after' that every fairy tale promised of.

But we couldn't pretend anymore, we were far past that now. We were adults. We lived in reality and reality said that this world sucks and everything bad that could possibly happen will indeed happen. I used to have faith that someday things would get better, and for a few months they did. For a few months I found Ace and we wasted our time laughing and kissing and living in a fantasy. Too bad fantasies never last.

Therefore, I have no one to blame but myself. Ace and I were living in a fantasy and I ruined it to discover the truth. This choice was mine and mine alone. So I now I must live with the consequences.

That's how the world truly works.

With that thought ringing loud and clear in my head, I flipped the blankets away and started for the door. I told Ace that I was a different person now, time to be different than the same ole Genevieve who hides when things get tough. I wasn't that shy girl who was terrified of everything, not anymore. I wasn't as strong as Jason, or as smart as Creston, or as clever as grandma, or as fierce as Holly.

But I was enough.

And enough is enough.

So I strolled downstairs with an eager bounce to my step. Was I looking forward to all the questions and allegations? No. Could I handle it? Maybe. But whether I'd handle it or not wasn't the primary concern at the moment. I put Ace through hell and now we were taking time to sort things out. Everyone else deserved to know that as well, especially since it seemed as though we'd be spending quite a bit of time together in the coming days.

I reached the bottom floor and found the living room empty but the warm aroma of breakfast wafted through the house. I started towards the kitchen, feeling my stomach flop as I neared, either because I was starving or because I was fearing what awaited beyond that doorway. This was it, time to pay the piper.

I stepped into the kitchen and found myself in the middle of a peculiar scene. Grandma and Kimber stood near the oven, cooking eggs and bacon as they chatted nonchalantly about unimportant things. Jason sat at the table with Creston, Lucas, and Rico, the three of them were already eating. And surprisingly enough, I found Holly at the table as well, snacking on a piece of toast.

Ace stood off to the side, sipping at a cup of coffee as he watched the scene, much like I was.

My weight settled between my two feet as I stopped, and the floor creaked. All eyes shifted towards me. The moment was here, time for questions. I was ready. I'd tell them everything unbiasedly and be sure to emphasize that this entire situation was my doing and my decision.