Chapter 13

It took the rest of the day to show my brother around Barren Valley, mostly because people constantly interrupted our tour by asking questions and making small talk. Very few asked me any questions directly and even less acknowledged Ace's presence at all. Jason kept the locals occupied while Ace and I hung in the background, hiding in the shadows.

    I didn't understand why Ace was hiding though. I had a reason but Ace didn't, he belonged here.

    After hours in the sun and the most awkward silence between Ace and I, Jason finally called it a day. He was tired and needed to finish unpacking, that was his excuse anyways. I think the real reason he left was because he couldn't stand the way Ace and I wouldn't speak to one another.

    Our silence held no malevolent intents nor was it from actual desire to not speak with each other. We just didn't know what to say. I didn't talk much under the most normal of circumstances, and this particular circumstance had my thought process all over the place. Here I was, faced with a boy who had practically seen me naked. Anyone else in my position would feel honored and would go on their way with a sense of pride at affecting Ace so greatly.

    But I couldn't be like that. I didn't know how.

    Instead, all I could do was shrivel away into my shell and pray that this occurrence would pass. Ace would get over it soon enough and promise me that all was fine once again. Right?

    That wasn't the case, though. When we got back to grandma's house, Jason wished Ace a swift goodbye completed with a hug before strolling away. Casually. With no worries. Lucky him. On the other hand, Ace merely mumbled a soft goodnight to me.

    "Ace ..." I started, wringing my fingers nervously in my lap, "We need to talk about this."

    He nodded, his gaze locked on the steering wheel in his hands, "I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't mean to walk in."

    I double checked to make sure Jason was truly gone before I climbed into the front seat. I turned to face Ace, folding my legs under me as I did so, "It was an accident, no big deal."

    Still he wouldn't look at me, "I just want to make sure you know that it wasn't my intention to ... well, to ..."

    When he couldn't get the words out, I reached a hand towards his forearm and gave it a tight squeeze. This drew his attention away from the steering wheel and to the place where our skin made contact. He stared down at my hand, watching it, as though my fingers might hold some dire secret I was unaware of.

    "You shouldn't feel guilty. I know it wasn't your intention." I told him, keeping my tone light. He seemed to think I was appalled that he'd try such a 'dirty trick' when in actuality, it was quite the opposite. Of course, I'd never tell him that but I also couldn't let him suffer because he regretted something that was entirely accidental, "Just forget that it ever happened, okay?"

    Those stormy eyes swung up to meet mine but they are clouded in such a way that they almost didn't resemble Ace's eyes whatsoever. He nodded slowly, his neck shifting as he swallowed, "I'll certainly try."

    Why did that sentence make my heart stop?

    "Good." I whispered, withdrawing my hand. Well, things weren't back to normal but they were better. At least Ace would look at me now. Maybe we'd have to spend some time regaining that comfort which was lost but Ace and I would work through it. We always did.

    I moved towards the door, preparing to escape to my room and light one of my many candles to forget this day ever happened, when Ace's phone began to buzz. I waited for him to answer it so I could say a proper goodbye but my farewell never came.