two

simon chose not to answer at first, standing up to look around at the room he was in.

more flowers were scattered over the walls- that were coloured a soft, pink colour- there were luminous starry lights that hung delicately from the ceiling casting a gentle yellow glow over the walls.

up against the wall was a small bed littered with fluffy pink pillows and a white blanket that was messily flung to the side. the room was prim and proper; simon wondered if he was still dreaming.

his eyes swivelled back to the figure that was chewing down on their bottom lip; seemingly terrified.

slowly, simon got to his feet - brushing himself down and then held out a hand.

"i'm simon." he tried for a smile, the aim to be reassuring because they were looking at him with these impossibly wide doe-eyes and simon had to let them know he wasn't any sort of threat.

"simon.." they repeated, in a soft, hesitant voice and then they looked curiously at the hand simon was offering them.

"do you not know what a handshake is?" simon joked nervously, not dropping his arm. when he sees the person bite their lip and fidget from one foot to another, his eyes widen in realisation. "oh, you actually don't know what a handshake is."

the person shook their head, curls bobbing up and down at the movement, something inside simon's chest flutters at this small detail.

simon frowned, and then in one spontaneous, swift movement, he reaches forward to grab their hand. they start, trying to pull it back but simon quickly stops them.

"no it's okay. look." he shakes the soft, slightly clammy hand he is holding and smiles. "this is a handshake."

the person smiled cutely and shook simon's hand back a little violently, excitement evident in their eyes. simon chuckled, letting go and just as his hand was slipping from theirs he noticed the fingernails.

the person had their fingernails painted in a pastel pink colour, neater than anything he's ever seen before. simon doesn't mean to be blunt he's just so curious it slips out.

"are you a girl?" he burst out, and then immediately regretted it as the person's cheeks flush red and their eyes fall to the floor.

"i am a boy." he whispered after some time and then put his little head on the side, "why would you think that i am a girl?"

"who are you?" simon decided to ask instead.

the boy smiles a little shyly, the pink dusting a returning to his cheeks. "i am harold." he said, and grabbed simon's hand shaking it up and down and laughing, looking very pleased with himself.

"i'm sorry, for breaking into your room and stuff." simon said, after his heart had finished melting.

that's when he heard it, a small giggle.

"it's okay," the boy said, amusement dancing in his powder blue eyes, "i really don't mind you being here."

"can i call you harry?" simon asked, returning the goofy smile the boy is wearing.

"harry," the boy repeated and nodded, a lock of his chesnut hair falling into his eyes,"i am harry."

that's when simon does something stupid.