twenty-two.

"how do you feel?" simon asked, two fingers under harry's chin in order to search his eyes for any remnants of intoxication.

"i'm fine." harry swatted his hands away, secretly loving how simon always fussed over him.

the night was still young, harry was engulfed in gazing at the stars in a way that almost made simon jealous. he had truly fallen in love with the thousands of stars studded across the dark hues of intense violet and midnight black. the sparkle in his soft eyes as he tried to look everywhere at once made simon's heart jump a little.

"simon?"

"mm?"

"you know everything about me, i want to know more about you." harry turned his head, focusing on the boy next to him.

"about me? there's nothing to tell." simon replied, shrugging.

"tell me about your family, why you don't visit them on your free days?"

simon stiffened, he pondered whether he should brush off the question but the bond between the two boys had strengthened so much that he felt comfortable with spilling all his secrets to harry.

"my mother is very kind, i had everything i needed growing up," simon paused, running his tongue over his lips, "but she never stopped him."

harry furrowed his eyebrows, taking simon's hand in his own. "your father?" he questioned.

simon nodded, pursing his lips. "my father had an ideal for how we were supposed to grow up. i was the only son who didn't comply."

"an ideal?" harry asked, gently.

"he wanted us to be strong, manly." simon said, "he went about it using force."

"so that's why you're always on edge." harry nodded, it all made sense now. the way simon constantly needs to be doing something, his troubles with sleeping and general nervousness. harry felt a sadness in the pit of his stomach, simon was really strong to be so happy all the time when his father was a bad person.

"my father passed away two years ago." simon broke the silence.

harry's eyes widened, "you mean h-he died?"

simon nodded, looking up at the sky. "i'm not sad about it, he despised me-i don't consider him to be my family."

"don't worry, simon. i am your family now, right?"

"gross." simon muttered.

harry frowned, "why's it gross?" he whined, shoving simon.

10..

9..

harry stopped, his head twitched to the side- he could hear loud counting all over town. "simon, why are they counting down?"

6..

5..

simon laughed, turning his head towards him, "because they are." he said shortly, to annoy him.

"you didn't answer, why is it gross for me to be your family." harry pouted.

4..

3..

"because it's gross!" simon said, exasperated.

2..

"but why-"

1..

the world burst into the electrifying pink of young love's first kiss, on the very brink of the new year. simon had cut harry off, grabbing his face and pressing his own lips to harry's, he kissed him sweetly and with all the unspoken feelings gathered in his pounding heart.

it was a purple winter's twilight when simon had finally kissed the sparkly, rosy-cheeked boy whom he had slowly fallen in love with. up in the skies, the stars gazed down at the two lovers, shimmering in excitement.

the pearly sparkle of the stars was nothing compared to the radiant gleam of pleasant surprise in harry's eyes as simon drew back, utterly shocked himself.

"i'm sorry." simon immediately looked down, cheeks flushed with euphoria and the embarrassment of what had just happened.

he felt a small hand lovingly stroke his cheek, the softness of his touch carried so much affection. simon dared to look up, seeing harry's perfectly peaceful expression was enough for him to lean forwards and again, gently kiss his warm lips.

this time, harry kissed him back- sliding his arms around simon's neck to bring him closer. although he did not understand the gesture, his heart was acting of it's own accord and the tinkling and chiming of music in his heart satisfied any doubts.

they both paused, breaking away to catch their breath.

"simon, this is how you love a person! i'm sure of it, oh i feel as if my heart is going to explode." harry breathed.

simon laughed, grabbing harry's little face and squishing his chubby cheeks. "if we were family, i couldn't kiss you like that." he grinned.

"we are never family, in that case," harry frowned, "what are we?"

"lovers?" simon said sheepishly, the shyness reflected in his puppy-like eyes.

harry giggled, "i'm fine with that."

"harry," simon said sharply, inspiration striking him all at once, "harry, run away with me."

"what?" harry gasped, "could we? where would we go?"

"you want to?" simon asked, surprised.

"yes!" harry almost yelled, "yes a thousand times."

"we can go anywhere." simon breathed, clasping harry's hands. "i have enough money to get us away."

"simon, i have gold! lots of it!"

simon laughed, "deal."

it was the first day of january when harry and simon made their way back to the castle, sneaking upstairs and gathering their belongings. harry even discovered a little kitten, whining from within a cupboard for his owner.

simon left a note for jide, explaining in a few short sentences that he was never to return and thanking the older boy for everything. harry did not leave any notes for his hateful parents, he did not want anything to do with them.

it was with the first splashes of pink and orange across the gradual morning sky that the two lovers mounted a special horse and left behind all the pain and hardship in their path.

harry was no longer lonely, he finally had simon- the glimmer of hope in his miserable life, they were in love and that was enough.

[a/n]

last chapter :')

epilogue coming soon.

mia <3