seven.

"what is a bestfriend?"

"hm?" simon looked up from his plate of food that he was currently devouring in a scarily animalistic way.

ethan had begged them to come for breakfast at his house, with a promise of a feast fit for a king. harry was starting to get hungry so simon agreed.

a feast it was. ethan's mother had outdone herself. there were steaming tureens of porridge, bread rolls and to go with them, hunks of fresh farm cheese and great slabs of butter. there were fat-fried sausages and bacon and eggs piled high on brown bread. little bowls of fresh fruit, grapes and plums and freshly squeezed oranges. it made simon's mouth water, just looking at everything.

"um, you introduced ethan as your bestfriend...", harry explained- watching simon tuck into his food with gusto.

"oh," simon wiped his mouth with a napkin, "well, a friend is someone who is there for you- someone you trust with secrets and you're happiest when they're around."

harry nodded, sipping his cup of creamy milk that he thought was the nicest thing he had ever tasted. "so what is the difference between a friend and a bestfriend."

simon chewed on his bread roll thoughtfully. "a best friend is the person who would cross oceans and galaxies for you. you may like a friend, but you love your bestfriend."

harry felt something then, a little tug at his heart when simon said those words. "you love ethan?"

simon laughed, some crumbs flying out of his mouth which made harry tut, fetching a napkin for him.

"i guess, i do."

harry mused over this, trying to come to terms with the statement made. "you love him like i love the willow trees?"

simon looked over at his puzzled little face, that one curl adamantly hanging in his eyes.

"um, it's a little different," he tried, "you love people differently."

"how so?" harry asked, his full attention now on simon.

simon opened his mouth to reply when ethan's mother finally bustled in, humming.

"hello si-oh! who's this lovely chap?" she beamed, noticing harry.

"this is harry." simon introduced, harry giving her a small wave.

"the food is absolutely delicious!" he said eagerly, and you could tell that he meant it from the way his eyes shone and his cheeks were radiating warmly.

ethan's mother let out a hearty laugh, nodding at the boy. "nice new friend you have, ethan." she exclaimed as ethan walked in, having already eaten his breakfast.

"he's sweet, right." ethan grinned and nothing could be more amusing than harry's cheeks and their intensifying pink blush.

simon chuckled, as harry tried to hide behind his brown curls. "ethan, can i borrow a shirt? been riding all day."

"sure, mate."

simon grinned, following ethan up the stairs, presumably to his room.

harry yelped inwardly as simon completely left him to it. what about his change of clothes? he didn't particularly like staying in a sweaty jumper. he nibbled on his lip, trying to ignore the way his body was panicking causing his adrenaline to kick in. what was this feeling?