thirteen.

harry wondered why simon didn't come to visit him. that magical day started to seem more and more like a dream to harry, there were days he questioned if he had made the whole thing up.

the days seemed to stretch out in an impossible dreary way, and every time harry awoke in the middle of the night after having dreams of being with simon, it was even more unbearably heartbreaking to find himself in the empty bed in that empty room.

there had been this subtle ache in his heart ever since simon had left, he started to spiral back into the lonely state he had been in for so long.

it had almost been two weeks since that day they went on their little adventure, harry was standing on a stool and gazing out of his small, barred window to the world yonder. simon, the kitten was licking his paws, brushing up against harry's legs for attention.

the kingdom had always seemed so out of reach, the scary world with dangers round every corner. it wasn't anything like that. the world was unpredictably exciting, so many things to do and so many places to explore. there was an exhilarating beauty about being outside in the kingdom late at night.

"where are you, simon?" harry whispered to the wind, sighing as the ache became more and more prominent in his heart.

almost immediately, there came a knock at the door.

harry almost fell off the stool he was perched on, startled by the interruption. simon, the kitten flew under the bed, well and truly frightened. harry scrambled off of the stool and sprinted to the door, his heart thudding loudly in his chest as he hoped against hope it wasn't just a servant.

"who is it?" he called out.

a pause, and then.

"it's me, princess."

harry almost yelled with joy, colour racing back into his cheeks and hope restored in his heart.

the doorknob twisted and then it was flung open and harry almost jumped on simon, pulling him into the room and falling to the floor in a giggly mess.

"shh, there's a guard downstairs." simon hissed, but he couldn't help laughing as the small boy clutched at simon, rolling around on the bedroom floor.

"i don't care." harry gasped, finally untangling himself from simon's embrace and getting to his feet.

"i missed you." simon said softly, still sitting on the floor as his eyes flickered over harry, drinking in his appearance. soft, matted curls and his strawberry lips upturned in a soft smile and simon wondered how someone could be so pretty.

"why didn't you come sooner?" harry asked, the question spilling from his lips.

simon sighed, running a hand through his tousled hair. he wanted to tell harry how he hasn't slept for days on end, how he can only cry himself to sleep only to wake up screaming in the middle of the night. it hasn't ever been this bad since he was young, maybe eleven years old and the loud voices of his parents arguments used to keep him up.

"simon?"

simon felt a hand on his knee that he had drawn up under his chin, his back pressed against the wall and he suddenly realises he's biting his lip too hard.

"are you good?" harry asked, his voice already soothing simon's mind.

he nodded, pressing his lips together firmly to stop them from quivering. "i'm good."

"i'm here now." harry said, his soft fingers tracing patterns on simon's cheeks.

simon swallowed, looking up into harry's eyes that were brimming with worry and then down to what he was wearing.

he laughed a little. "is that my shirt?"

harry blushed. "i didn't think you would mind."

"keep it, looks better on you." simon said, enjoying the way harry's cheeks turned a rosy red colour.

"you do this on purpose."

"do what?" simon grinned.

harry's blush deepened. "make me feel weird."

"you want me to stop?"

a pause. "i didn't say that."

simon laughed, grabbing harry around the neck and holding him in a headlock. harry snuggled into the crook of his arm, pleased that simon couldn't see the way his cheeks were burning red.

"tonight, let's go out." he said, on impulse.

"really?" harry breathed.

"yes, really."

"how-"

"i'll make it happen, do you trust me?"

"i trust you."

harry sighed contentedly, the ache had all but gone in his chest and he was with the person who made him the happiest, things seemed like they could maybe be okay for a while.

"simon?" harry lifted his head slightly.

"mm?"

"no offence but you look exhausted."

simon chuckled. "i am."

harry wormed his way out of simon's grasp and tugged on his arm to get them both to their feet.

simon quirked an eyebrow. "what?"

harry narrowed his eyes and pointed to the bed.

simon was about to protest but the defiant look in harry's eyes amused him and so he humoured the boy by going over to the bed and flopping down on it. harry came over and tucked the bedspread all around him, making sure he was comfortable.

and simon didn't mean to fall asleep but the mattress was so soft and harry started to stoke his hair, so he slept.

[a/n]

ahh, i'm soso sorry this took so long

how's everyone doing? good, i hope.
it's finally the christmas holidays so happy holidays to you all !!!

-mia <3