fifteen

it was getting late and the sky began to look like a burning candle, slowly flickering and fading into a soft orange sunset. the birds were singing the last of their evening songs and the air was not as cold as it would be in winter.

the two boys were on horseback, simon didn't even have to coax the horse out with an apple, she had just become their trusty companion and gladly greeted the two boys, probably restless from being cooped up in that stall all day.

harry was clinging onto simon, as per usual and simon found comfort in the warm body pressed against his back, harry was still a little sleepy from their nap and so he closed his eyes, resting his head against simon's back.

the bumpiness of the ride together with the sound of koko trotting along the cobbled lane was somehow soothing, and as the wind softly swirled around them, harry felt comfort like he never had before. it awoke some long lost memory of his, unlocking a sense of comfort he had once experience before, but he was too sleepy to think about it.

right now, simon was pondering what new things he could show harry, there was an endless list of possibilities and simon wanted harry to explore every single thing just to see that excited smile on his face and the glitter in his eyes. they had a day, simon's day off and there was nobody else he dreamed of spending it with other than harry.

they passed the willow tree, to which simon glanced at fondly, it looked as majestic as ever- the leaves waving simon along.

the town was better at night, no-one was around and they could roam the streets without any turning heads or judgemental stares because simon really felt mad when people would point at harry like he was some sort of creature. harry didn't seem to notice last time they had been out but it made simon's blood boil.

nightlife was not a part of this town, really. people preferred to do things properly around here, and that meant boring but if you knew where to look and you had a prince beside you, there was adventure around every corner.

"simon?" harry murmured, as the horse came to a halt.

"yes, angel?"

"why have we stopped?"

"i want to show you this."

harry lifted his head, feeling more and more awake. he shifted his gaze to where simon was looking, keeping an arm around his waist.

there was an old-looking building in front of them, tucked away from the rest of the town, and although it looked slightly shabby, there was a grandeur about it that harry couldn't quite put his finger on.

they left koko tied to a tree with a few apples and ran up the little steps, simon pulling harry along- bursting with excitement.

they tumbled in through the doors, the padlock was rusty and so it fell off easily, harry worried about breaking in but simon didn't seem to care so neither did he.

once inside, harry stopped short- looking around in awe.

it was like entering another world, a parallel universe of beauty. the ceiling was high, so high that harry had to crane his head to look up. as he walked, he kept his eyes on the dome-shaped ceiling with its skylights and patterned glass. there were halls and halls with so many frames hanging, the floor was glossy as though it had been scrubbed clean an hour ago and it smelt musty and warm. comfort.

simon grinned, looking at harry enjoying the place he loved so dearly. it was the only art museum in the whole kingdom and very few people knew about it because it wasn't popular entertainment. simon was never any good at painting but he loved coming here and drinking in the intricacy of every painting and guessing the themes and stories behind them all.

harry slowly walked through the halls, tracing the paintings and murmuring things that simon couldn't quite make out.

"what is this place?" he asked, his voice full of wonder.

"this is an art museum." simon replied, hugging the boy from behind and softly resting his chin on harry's shoulder, he was still wearing the crown- although it now was a little lopsided atop the mess of curls.

they stood gazing at a painting of the kingdom, with pinky yellow tones everywhere and the reflection of it in a huge river, the scene was adorned with glowing lights that looked like little floating lanterns and in the river was a boat in which two figures leant on eachother, they were so small it was difficult to make out their features but one was a little taller than the other and that made harry smile.

harry turned his face to the left, his nose brushing against simon's as he sighed a happy sigh. simon brought his head closer so their foreheads were touching, lips dangerously close together and harry felt that feeling again like his heart was on fire but the kind of fire that made him warm from his fingertips to his red cheeks.

simon was once again struck by harry's beauty, he was so pretty in how his eyelashes curled upwards and how his eyes changed from blue to green, how they crinkled up when he laughed and opened wide when he was surprised. everything about him was just pretty.

simon was going to take care of him for better or for worse, he had decided.

"harry." simon whispered.

"yes?" harry breathed.

"you're prettier than all the art."

harry giggled, blushing furiously. "liar."

"never." simon smirked, kissing the space next to harry's lips.

"what was that for?"

"i just want you to know."

"to know what?" harry asked.

simon laughed, spinning harry around so they were facing each other, simon holding harry's soft face in his hands.

"to know that you're special to me." simon finally said, not caring that his his mind was buzzing and telling him to shut up.

harry smiled up at him and then his gaze flickered higher, his eyes widening.

"simon, look!"

simon turned his eyes upwards, the sky was now dark and throughly the little windows in the ceiling, the starry night looked magical.

"it's so beautiful." harry breathed, "-how can people be sleeping when there is a sight like this."

"it's one of those things," simon started, "-the night sky continues to be beautiful and people know it is even if they can't see it."

"mm." harry agreed.

they stared at the sky until it hurt their necks, and simon suggested they lay on the floor so harry rested his head on simon's chest and listened to his heartbeat as they enjoyed the stars in the sky.

in that moment, simon fell in love with harry for the hundredth time.

[a/n]

i'm listening to taken by sleep (tyler joseph) on repeat & my heart is breaking all over again.