fourteen.

harry woke first, he let out a small yawn and tried to turn over, only to realise he was being held back.

of course it was simon, harry must've fallen asleep shortly after him and somehow they were now in this position. simon's arm was firmly wrapped around his middle, and their legs were tangled together.

harry managed to roll over so he was facing simon, laying his head against the taller boy's chest. he could hear his rhythmic heartbeat, slow and completely relaxed which was kind of a rare state for simon to be in. he inhaled simon's smell deeply, breathing in the familiar scent of the outside and it calmed him.

from the light in the room, harry decided it was nearing evening time and they had slept for a few hours, he hoped simon wouldn't get into any trouble for being away the whole day.

he nudged the other boy. "simon?"

"mm?" simon mumbled, yawning and pulling harry even closer to him.

"simon!"

"wha?"

"can't...breathe."

simon's eyes shot open and he immediately released the other boy and then sprung out of the bed, red in the face.

"sorry!"

"it's okay." harry gasped, sitting up and smiling.

"woah, what time is it?" simon asked.

"6 o'clock." harry said, glancing at his little clock.

simon bit his lip, how was it that being here helped him sleep? all those restless nights of him pacing in his room until the sun came up again but he fell asleep in a blink as soon as his head hit harry's pillow, how strange.

"you okay?" harry asked, interrupting his thoughts.

he nodded, and then smiled. "we were cuddling."

harry blushed a furious shade of red. "i'm sorry, i didn't mean to fall asleep aswell-"

"no, it's okay." simon grinned, his dimple appearing, "i sort of liked it."

harry breathed out. "i sort of liked it, too."

simon looked at the boy, his own t-shirt hanging off of harry's small frame, his curls matted from sleep and his eyes a little glossed over, all along with the cutesy smile he was wearing. the thoughts simon had previously had about their far-from-platonic behaviour was pushed to the side. all that was important was, harry made simon happy.

"simon, can i ask something?"

"mm?"

"is this what it's like to love a person?"

simon almost choked. "um-what?"

"well," harry said thoughtfully, "-when we were at ethan's house, you said it was different how you love people."

simon nodded.

"this feeling i have for you," harry mused, "is it love?"

simon felt slightly overwhelmed, the straightforwardness of harry's question threw him a little, but then he remembered that harry didn't understand how you were supposed to be subtle about things and he didn't know what was acceptable to say, he just knew what he felt.

"how does it feel when i hold your hand harry?" simon asked.

"it feels like it belongs there." harry replied simply, and that was enough.

simon gazed into his eyes and the little upwards curl of his smile and he saw the sun and the sea and the whole word beaming back at him, and he knew in that moment, they had something special. different and unheard of, but special.

"we should get going." simon said, quietly, his eyes never leaving harry's face.

harry nodded, getting up and walking over to his wardrobe, picking out a white jumper that he put on top of his tshirt and left his soft black joggers on underneath.

"do you want to change?" he asked, turning to simon.

simon peered in at the hanging clothes, looking at the bright colours, dubiously until a sparkle caught his eye.

"what's this?"

he pulled out the object that was wrapped in cloth, unfolding it and then he stared, awestruck.

harry giggled. "i am a prince, remember."

simon looked at the crown, it was encrusted with diamonds so polished and shiny it almost hurt his eyes to look at, it was small- almost like a tiara and it was beautiful, really beautiful.

"may i?" he asked, picking it up carefully and turning to harry.

harry leaned forward a little, bowing his head and simon placed it on top of his curls. it was a perfect fit, and it nestled comfortably on his head and when he straightened up, simon almost couldn't breathe.

if the crown was beautiful, it became breathtaking on harry's little head, gleaming steadily to match the stars in his eyes. he looked radiant, and simon felt a little blown away.

"am i a pretty princess?" harry asked, smiling.

simon laughed a little shakily and then came over, cupping harry's face in his broad hands, without even thinking, he leaned forwards and pressed a kiss to his forehead.

"the prettiest." he murmured.

then he picked out a beige hoodie that looked like it would fit and threw it on, shoving his feet in his shoes, he held out a hand that harry grasped and together, they made their way down the stairs and all the way out of the castle without anyone noticing.

and thus, another adventure began.

[a/n]

they're so cute ohmygod !!

4 days left, 🎄

how's your holidays so far?
i've been binge watching haikyuu
and eating lots of cereal, wby?

-mia <3