nine.

simon surveyed the scene in front of him.

harry was kneeling down, stroking the kittens as they clambered all over his lap, trying to get the most attention. he stroked each of them equally and spoke comforting and happy words to them, simon couldn't hear exactly what he was saying but he couldn't help smiling, smiling so hard at harry's enthusiasm over the kittens.

he knelt down, joining harry on the floor. "why don't you name them all?" he suggested.

"can i really?"

"of course you can."

he picked up the smallest kitten, she had copper brown fur and green eyes.

"willow, after our tree." harry smiled, glancing at simon to see the boy already gazing at him.

"what about this little guy?" simon picked up one with all black fur and a mischievous expression dancing in his blue eyes.

harry scrunched his face up, thinking about it. "can i name him after you?" he asked, giggling.

"why?" simon narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

"he looks a little crazy, like you." harry laughed.

simon opened his mouth to protest.

"-and he has the prettiest eyes, like yours."

simon closed his mouth. he felt the blush radiating on his cheeks and that warm feeling inside of his chest, it was as if his insides were ablaze and he was struggling to form some kind of reaction. he looked over to harry who had obviously thought nothing of the compliment and was busy with the kittens. so simon decided not to read too deeply into it.

"well, it's obvious what this little one is going to be called." simon stroked the smallest of the bunch, with spotless white fur and the lightest of blue eyes, along with a distinctly pink nose.

harry quirked an eyebrow.

"princess." simon smiled, "she will be princess."

harry laughed and rolled his eyes.

"where is their mother?"

simon stopped smiling, looking away for a moment. "i found her a couple of months ago, in the forest and she was very ill."

harry stared at simon with these big doe eyes and a very solemn expression on his face. "where is she now?" he asked, in this small voice.

"she's...somewhere better."

"really?"

"really."

harry seemed content at that, going back to fussing over the kittens and simon felt guilty for sugarcoating everything but he couldn't help it, harry was so innocent and he felt personally responsible for ensuring he keeps that childlike innocence as long as freaking possible.

"i want to take them all back with me." harry said haphazardly, a big grin on his face.

"harry, i don't think that's such a good idea."

he pouted, his eyes pleading with simon but the older boy had to be firm.

"no, harry."

"can i just keep them?"

"no."

"please?"

"still no."

harry folded his arms, pulling the kittens close to him and turning his back into on simon.

the other boy giggled, "are you having a tantrum?"

no reply. simon sighed, the little shit was giving him the silent treatment. how does he even know to do that?

harry can't keep the kittens, i mustn't be swayed, no simon. don't do it.

"maybe just one."

simon found the words tumbling out of his mouth before his brain could have a say in the matter.

harry spun around, his eyes lighting up and a smile so hopeful.

"really?" he screamed.

"just one." simon said, rolling his eyes.

then harry threw himself at simon, wrapping his arms under his armpits and squeezing him so tightly he couldn't even breathe. simon was unsure about this, not used to such physical contact but he found himself sinking into the embrace, holding him back equally as tight as harry laughed into the crook of my neck.

"you, are one stubborn little fucker." simon chuckled, ruffling his curls.

"and you are the best thing that has ever happened to me."

simon unwrapped himself from harry's hug so that he could look into his eyes.

"i am?"

"you are."

simon nodded, feeling the fire inside of him again making him shiver a little. he had never been anybody's favourite person, sure he considered ethan as his bestfriend but ethan had tons of other friends and simon wasn't sure that he came first to him. simon was never really good with people at any point in his life. harry was his anomaly.

"harry?"

"yes, simon?"

he hesitated, and in that small time he diverted the subject.

"um, which one are you taking?" he asked instead, looking at the kittens.

"well, simon obviously."

"why?" simon laughed. ( the boy not the kitten...)

"so that you will be with me always, even if i am in my room and you are in yours."

and simon's heart broke into a million pieces at that sentence.

"harry, it will not always be like this." simon swallowed, gently placing a finger underneath harry's chin and moving it upwards to face him.

"someday it will just be you and i, if you would like it to be."

"that would be the happiest of happy endings, wouldn't it?" harry smiled a little sadly.

the two boys settled into a comfortable silence, musing over the idea of a happy ending and it sounded far-fetched but harry was holding onto that small part of him that was full of hope and simon was now determined to give harry the happy ending he longed for.

"simon."

the daydream faded. "yes?"

"i was talking to the kitten, silly."

simon snorted. "have i been replaced already?"

harry nodded, rubbing his face on the kitten's fur and cradling it close to his heart.

"do you think kittens can understand us?"

"they could."

harry smiled, "so i can talk to him?"

"he might not reply."

harry rolled his eyes. "i know that."

[a/n]

am i suffocating you with fluff lmao

wednesday is so far away i'm waiting for yuri on ice and ughhh

-mia <3