Drunken Distraction

Candles lined the book cases around the small dinning hall. Warm light bathing the small feasting party in a constant glow, no amount of light would fend off the winters darkness that feel right outside the stained glass window a few feet from the table. Enticed by the smell of a fresh batch of rolls, roasts that had been cooked over a low flame all day and corks lining the table as a multitude of wines littered the table in this small excursion of celebration.

"Ah," Athrikus took another long draw on his wine glass before swishing the thick sweet wine in his goblet, "This is certainly magic, we don't spend must time in the arts of brewing back home. Organic material has become sparse and frugal use is never present."

"What do you do for fun then if there is no liquor?" Lothar took the last swig of his mead, the stein not even resting a moment before a servant filled the container again with bubbly goodness.

"We don't have the time for fun," Marez rolled her dark brown eyes in distain over the lords foolishness.

"Marez," Athrikus tempered the woman's retort and smiled between a bite of roast, "Before Gul'dan we had more than this young woman would know."

"It's been hundreds of years though," Darbel was looking down at her goblet, wine stains from her lip printed on the lip of the glass, "Marez would not recall she was young when Gul'dan began draining more than cultivating."

Lothar closed his eyes and shook his head, "We cannot be courteous enough to recieve the offer from help from your people Sir Athrikus, as well as the rest of you." Lothar nodded to his female companions and then to the youngest members standing the trio, it was odd but not to be questioned as Athrikus had not invited the acolytes to dine even at the insistence of Lothar and Taria told them there was surely enough food to go around. He waved them away and neither Fain or Kalor argued with it and Lothar figured there was no point in offending at such a critical point. That was if he hoped Khadgar could do the same.

Through the entire dinner the mage was silent, Athrikus hadn't gone after him during the dinner as he did in the throne room for jesting. Khadgar at least kept his head down and didn't stare this time at the female beyond anyones comfort.

"Fain, Kalor," Athrikus's voice perked up Khadgar's attention when her name came from his mouth, "You are dismissed to your rooms the world's King has so graciously provided."

Surprised, Lothar looked up from his meal, "Yes, please make yourselves at home in our mage quarter. We have more than enough room to spare, I assume the separate barracks are to your liking?"

"Oh yes," Athrikus nodded, taking a bite of his roll into his crooked mouth, "These acolytes surely have been spoiled they deserve this little bit of pampering from showing how great they are at ensuring they become the Shadow Councils next in line."

Simultaneously, each Taria, Lothar and Khadgar wanted to understand what spoiled meant in their sense since each of those individuals simply just had a plain closet of a room to themselves and the kingdom offered no extravagant exchange for any of them except for the oldest member of their band. Fain and Kalor bent down in a bow and again it was Kalor only to speak, "Sir King of Azeroth we have to thank you so much for the remnants of rooms you have provided, we have pleasure over sharing in your virtue in beautiful Stormwind."

Khadgar's brown eyes searched Fain's face for a twitch that she may speak but the dirty blonde simply nodded to her traveling companies words and shifted piercing blue grey eyes onto the mage. Rose blush flamed on his lightly bearded cheeks and Khadgar looked down at his full goblet without hesitation. Athrikus waved his boney hand in a slow motion and uttered a small dismissal, "Acolytes please return to your quarters King Lothar has so kindly provided." Turning his dim eyes to the king Athrikus also added, "Perhaps guards to insure these two youngens get back in the right direction. It's awfully dark and such a new place, ashamed they run into any trouble in the streets." As he spoke Athrikus's gaze fell onto the mage who would not look up, lips curling up as he returned that gaze back to Lothar for his reaction.

It was simple and made the most sense so the man nodded, his intake of the dwarven mead surpassing what was surely wise for him when circumstances required him to be sharp, "The squires will see to it the two get walked back to the barracks safely, addle minded surely they'll familiarize themselves soon enough with the allied streets." Lothar gave a crooked smile and tossed a look over at Khadgar before remembering that he was still focussed on the newcomers and not partaking in such delicious drinks as he should.

Two of the newest guards came up and fell in line one in front of the two acolytes and the other bringing up the end. Khadgar watched as Fain's head hung down, surely she was starving not once did the grotesque old man allow the two to sit and eat even a bit. The entire time Khadgar fidgeted eager for this to be over so the city may dim and he could pursue what really was barring his mind. Catching a glimpse of her once more before the door closed, Khadgar knew he had about a drink and a half before Lothar would get loud and rowdy. Easy enough for him to excuse his presence from the inebriated friend but his focus lingering on the trio across from the table, that's where the issue was presented.

Darbel seemed tipsy enough or at least not to care. Marez hard to determine, not much alcohol had past her pale lips but at the same time she didn't waste any time even looking in his general direction. The possibility of her not even realizing the silent mage was present was there. Then there was Athrikus. Ever looking and surveying in the repeated arrogant manner. He'd had enough to drink but not even a glimmer of it showed in his demeanor. Sharp as the tip of a sword, Khadgar knew it was going to be harder to get past him without Lothar just getting roaring drunk until everyone went to bed. That was simply too long for Khadgar to wait.

"Khadgar?" Lady Taria's voice snapped the mage from his calculating thoughts of escape.

"Huh?" Leaning past Lothar he gave the woman an inquiry, "Yes my lady?"

"Would you be the dearest and go make sure Lothar's message had been passed down to the infirmary, our healers debunked some of the supplies from Ironforge but forgot to grace the newest mail and plate garments," Lady Taria's kind features simply smiled but her eyes hide a devilish output as she winked, "Lothar won't even remember he sent the orders at the rate our mead is disappearing."

Addled by her request, there was as slight moment before Taria's expression sold it all the way for him to connect the dots, "I assure you Lady Taria Lothar won't need to remember such a measly task." Khadgar placed his crisp and clean napkin on the table and stood himself up, "Excuse me from this most pleasurable meal but being the Guardian does not end when the sun sets on Stormwind."

Athrikus offered a faint smile but Lothar's brash dictating speech prevented the man to toss anything but a nod and look at him. Both women sipping on their beverages watching Lothar spout about Gul'dan to even spare a glance. Lady Taria swiveled her body and discreetly smiled at the young mage and nodded before turning back to the table and encouraging Lothar as it kept Athrikus too busy.

Relief flooding through every inch of him, Khadgar tucked his cloak and made haste towards the southern exit. Mere steps from the door latch, it was too easy as Khadgar froze in his steps when Athrikus spoke up, "My dear boy." It sent chills down his spine as his feet stuck like glue to the spot.

Wanting to refuse the comment and flee out the door as he was so close, Khadgar knew it would cause a stir and slowly turned himself to cast over at the man thwarting his plans so early. That same grin smeared on his cracked lips Khadgar felt his stomach drop at the fear he had some how figured out his intentions.

"Those are the doors to the kitchen aren't they?" Athrikus's banter and slightly slurred words let Khadgar ease in his skin.

"Heh- Oh yes my bad, too much of that delicious wine gets a man turned around as sorts," Not wasting a minute Khadgar offered a resentful smile and turned on heel and swept himself out of the room. A relieved exhale when the iron clasp clicked behind him and he was finally free. Though he cursed and hated the fact he would need to walk around the back to the kitchen for his pilfering. Lothar insisted he keep a low-key and in fact figured the warrior king would be proud of his sneakish demeanor if he wasn't the same warrior king riled up over some piss poor mead.

"Uh yuck-" Khadgar shivered and gagged, how he hated the poison. Too many camp outs and missions in the past months had brought a new meaning to a drunken man who reeked of the pungent drink and reeked even more when the mead forced everything else up. Grimacing at it, Khadgar still shook it off and took a survey around to see the corridor next to him empty before making his way swiftly onwards.