Torn Between

The unbuffed hewn windowsill groaned under the weight as Fain stopped in cold blood. It didn't cause a stir from the figure in the bed half way across the room. Exhaling slowly she crept the rest of the way through the narrow window. Stepping lightly as she ensured the ground didn't creak any under her feet. Cautious and slow the woman latched the single pane window closed and took a moment of reprieve.

Listing back on the window Fain exhaled a long steady breath as she'd made it half way through her endeavor. The moon light fell through the windows and lit up half if not most of the reasonably sized room. Noting the desk to the left and line of bookshelves to her right, Fain mapped out all the danger points she saw as tripping hazards while she skulked further into the quiet room.

A rustle made Fain seize mid step as Khadgar shifted in bed and she could see him roll in the direction she was. Holding her breath as though it would save her from being caught, Fain watched him rub the hem of the blanket over his face and then settle back into his feather pillow. Sighing deeply she closed her eyes and felt her muscles relax as she stood back on two feet. Flicking her tongue over very dry lips Fain swallowed the lump in her throat but it did nothing with her stomach in knots. Only a few steps and Fain slinked up to the side of the mage's bed.

The knots in her stomach only rose up into her throat as Fain looked down at the sleeping man. Utterly peacefully and serene as he slept soundly. Fain watched as he scratched his cheek and rolled onto his back. Fain looked down and timidly padded the area of the bed he'd rolled from. Not feeling his arm or anything the woman took a seat at the edge of his bed and looked on at his expressionless face. A bit of a smile breaking on her lips as she could see his teeth peaking past his pouty lips as he murmured a little breath in his sleep and his mouth didn't shut all the way.

Stirring inside her was the same indescribable feelings she continued to have well up in her when she saw the mage. Like every good feeling she ever had matched with an equally unpleasant memory that only confused the woman all together. Alike she wanted to cry and laugh all at once for no reason what so ever. Watching him sleep it made her smile and Fain inched closer to his face. Careful not to cause a stir but it was apparent Khadgar was a hard sleeper.

"...I've been lying to you, to the king, even the really nice queen," Fain muttered so softly to him, knowing he wouldn't hear her but the sound of her own voice causing some sort of calmness, "...I don't have a family back home, I know Gul'dan has killed them. I'd be naive to think otherwise. There's nothing there for me, there wasn't anything there for me when I was there." Casting her eyes over to him, Fain recalled the tranquil feeling of when he tousled and played with her hair back at Karazhan.

Outstretching her arm Fain tentatively brushed a lock of wavy hair off his pale forehead. The feeling of his warm skin brushing on her fingertips made Fain's heart ache and the woman let her hand trace down his temple and jawline. Not even a noise out of the sleeping man. Chewing the inside of her cheek Fain looked down and saw his hand resting on his side. Reaching over she gingerly laid her fingers across his. Timid so she didn't wake him Fain overlapped his fingers and closed her eyes.

"Athrikus has the power to take me away from here....from you," Fain spoke softly, thrumming her fingers faintly over his, "I don't want to go. I don't want to leave you. This place, these people. I've never felt this way, but the queen is right, I shouldn't let it go. But...I don't know what to do," Khadgar's pink tongue flicked out and wet his sleep chapped lips, Fain watched mesmerized as his chest rose and fell slowly, "My body still belongs to Gul'dan and the Shadow Council, it isn't my own."

Against better judgement, Fain leaned down and placed her ear gingerly to the apex of Khadgar's chest. Under the thin sleepwear she could hear the murmuring thump of his heart against her cold ear. Relishing in the sound Fain reached out and found his hand once more. Lacing their fingers together she clutched his palm lightly and pressed her ear into his chest. Feeling her head come up with his breath and slowly fall as the mage exhaled. The sensation overwhelmed Fain so much the woman squeezed her eyes shut and turned her head slightly as her ear broke the connection to Khadgar's chest.