Up In Smoke

A deep gurgling at the back of her mind, almost like a river's brook but instead of water a thick viscous liquid ran over the worn river rock. Rousing to the unknown sound Fain's mind replaced the noise with cognitive feeling once more and besides the searing pain on her chest there was an anomalous sensation she was not use to. Lids too heavy to open, the woman lay in the warmth of soft pelts, silken blankets and heavy wool blankets that draped over her body head to toe. Focussing more on the sensation she didn't recognize Fain slowly came to enough strength to be able to open her eyes. Only in a fluttering briefness though the women saw the brown eyed mage resting beside her going through his literature. It dawned on her though that what she could feel but not identify was his tender hand a top her head with his fingers gradually gliding through her hair and then back again to her forehead to repeat the entire process.

Stunned for the moment being she laid in ideal silence feeling him comb gently through her hair as well as his warmth beside her and swallow steady breathing that could be heard. Fain soaked it in all for the moment before the thumping pain in her chest returned and she had to turn over feverishly to cough even though she did so into his side.

"Oh careful," Khadgar's hand moved from her hair and Fain was reluctant to feel it leave but a good chest wracking cough worked its way up her cavity and she doubled over trying to get it up as Khadgar rubbed her back. Fain slowly edged her way back, careful as her muscles ached from the violent contractions from earlier. Khadgar ginger with his hands on her as he aided in her sitting up. Not even realizing it she'd coughed up a mixture of spumone and blood that dotted the corner of her lips. The room was spinning so there was no way she could push his gesture away as he wiped the blood from the corner of her mouth.

As if he was ready for her to wake Khadgar got her stable in the up right position then turned about and grabbed a warm cup of what smelled to be tea. Pressing it to his lips the man tested the temperature when it splashed against his fuzzy upper lip and then offered the warm ceramic cup to her lips. The drink smelled like the earth during the day but it didn't detour Fain as she let a little seep in past her lips. Khadgar, glad she took a drink as he reached a hand up to brush the light brown locks of hair from her face and then press the back of his hand to her head.

"You don't feel hot, how are you?" his voice soft as though he was sharing a secret to her. Fain groaned and felt her head lull to the side into his touch. Her warm cheek pressed into his palm as her blue grey eyes fluttered shut. Khadgar didn't object as he held her face and offered the cup of tea once more.

Another sip, bigger than the last, Fain licked her chapped lips in the hopes to rehydrate them as her body ached with pain. Passing a hand over her chest, she slipped her hand into her tunic and felt the raised skin underneath her and the sharp sting upon touch, "...w-where is it?" Her voice hoarse before trying to clear it and find the saliva to moisten her mouth.

"Where's what?" Khadgar's brows furrowed and he looked down at her hand over the wound.

"The seal," she creaked before coughing again, "Where's the seal."

"Seal?" Khadgar mused over what she meant and then it dawned on her, "The maggot?" He saw her head dip slightly as she nodded, "Oh- I, it was moving under your skin. It didn't look like it should be there so I....I dug it out."

"Where is it mage?" Fain made the attempt to sit up further but Khadgar caught her as she bent over groaning.

"I pulled it out and threw it in the fire."

"You what?!" Fain gasped, only sending her into a coughing fit once more, Khadgar at the ready to wipe the streak of blood on her lips not even phased by her weak attempts to swat him away.