Night's Babel

"It's strange to breath and not feel the acrid smoke fill your lungs. Or hear screaming off in the distance, rumbling and storms, this world is so different than ours," Kalor narrated his awe almost the entire walk to the mage quarters. Fain simply closed her eyes at her companions worlds, not missing home but not reveling in this worlds beauty. Instead she listened closely, intently almost, on all the life she could hear. More amazed that the stars Kalor gazed up at was the life thrumming even in the darkest of the night. Fain could hear the muffle of families, pets, critters, weather, of the world going on. Like things were fresh and pregnant with life, bizarre and curious all at once. Fain wanted to feel more of this worlds wonders.

"Your barracks sir and ma'am," the blonde squire opened the door first to Kalor's room. The man smiled from ear to ear and couldn't thank him enough for the lovely evening. Fain just watched in disdain, wondering how the boy ever made it through the academy, the constant jabbering and talking when away from Athrikus was enough to make her want to suck the fel right out of his unworthy body.

"This way to your room Ma'am," the other squire, curiously a woman, tried to usher Fain further down the hall.

Tilting her hear like an inquisitive bird, Fain looked over her features and found it even more muddling that a beautiful woman was cladded in fighting armor, "Why are you dressed as a fighter? You are a woman, women do not fight."

"Oh!" blushing the squire looked down and teetered on her feet a little tongue tied, "W-Well Ma'am I-"

"Fain. It's Fain, not whatever it is you keep using. Fain, say it, Fain."

"Y-Yes Ma- F-Fain-" bowing she shook a little and it was strange this life felt like it was trembling, Fain didn't understand.

Shaking her head the young woman dismissed it, "Please, I would like to lay down miss." Not having to tell her twice the female squire escorted her down to the end of the hall, exactly the door furthest from the rest. Lips sealed tightly there was nothing she wanted to the say to the taller woman as the door was opened and Fain nodded, "Thank you." Bowing down the squire scurried back to the other and they disappeared back into the darkness and out of sight. Still the life they left in the air was dissipating even slowly and Fain took in the understand that she was what would be described as nervous.

Casting a look down at the rest of the doors, Kalor's was shut, thank the fel. Fain reached out and put her hand on the ironworks. A sizzle and snap, green smoke billowed in a tiny cloud up and every hair on the back of her neck stood up.

"Broken spell...." Fain bitter that a second night in this city and already a rat decided to take advantage of the warlocks absence. Heeding the intruders mistake of underestimating the acolyte, Fain was apprehensive but sure they must have left since there was no feeling of life lingering on the other side of the day.

Tentatively opening the heaven oak door, Fain made no mistake to give herself away but even her silent nature didn't keep from the instant clash.

Swinging her right arm over the source of the magic being spouted, Fain didn't need the light as her assailant reveled themselves the moment a single syllable left their mouth. A sharp thwack and a thud hit the ground as their body dropped. Fain snapped her fingers like a flint and green fel fire bathed the room in a eery light.

"You!" Both choked and Fain took a tumble as she instinctually lurked back and extinguished the green light leaving both mage and warlock in the pitch black of the room.

"No! No don't freak!" Khadgar urgently tried to gain his footing, bumping into something heavy and wooden. Cursing he tried again searching for a candle stick to light or anything to light.