Pain and Pleasure - Prologue (edited chapter)

Pain and Pleasure:

All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2012 Whitney T. Hines 

This book may not be reproduced, transmitted, or stored in whole or in part by any means, including graphic, electronic, or mechanical without the express written consent of the publisher except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews.

************************************************************

Prologue

Today is a terrible day.

I watched the many miles of trees go by in a blur from the backseat window. I wished this day would have never come. My parents and I are on the way to the new home my father's company set us up with, but my home was still back in Sacramento, California, or so I wished. The company my dad works for finally gave him the promotion he has always wanted, but with that promotion meant changes for the whole family. Which also meant moving to Seattle, Washington. I was the only one that hated the idea of leaving Sacramento the city I had grew up. I was distraught when my Mom and Dad sat me down to give me the news, the news that we were moving away.

I had a fantastic life back in Sacramento; I had friends and school. I loved my life, and now it is all ruined. My Mom and Dad could not understand why I was so sad to leave, but they did not see the bigger picture of it all. My parents did not understand that now I would have to start all over, fresh. I'd be the new girl and who likes being the new girl.

Just thinking about being the new girl sparked curiosity about the new school I would be made to attend. My Dads company is financing my tuition to this private school that they give money to every year called LakeView Academy. I did not get why I could not just go to a public school, and I told my parents just as much. I did not want to deal with snobby rich kids and evil plastic mean girls.

I was not one to hang out with the popular cheerleader types; I was more of a free spirit, I did not belong to any clique, but I could get along with anyone. Needless-to-say I chose to stay away from the "OMG" girls with the pounds of makeup and negative, small clothes.

After a few hours, the blur of trees started to turn into buildings and in no time we were crossing the Homer M. Hadley Memorial Bridge to go into Seattle. Lifting myself up a bit, I peered down at the water right under us. I did not want to be here I already hated it here and its only been a few minutes.

"Dad? How long before we're at the new house?" I asked him popping my head in between the seats to look at him. He gave me a quick glance before looking back at the road ahead, "Well, we're in the city right now and it will take about another thirty minutes or so to get to the corporate housing community," he said and continued driving. My mom was currently on the phone with the movers who somehow got lost, even though they were suppose to be following us.

I sighed and pushed myself back into my previous position awaiting the start of my new life, dreading it the whole way to our new home.