Chapter 20

Sophia Parker

Phoebe and I began to search for a new job for me last night. We didn't find anything suitable... yet, but it was just our first attempt. I know we would eventually find something.

On the other hand, today is Friday and I'm on my way to the office, about to quit my job. But first, there was something I needed to do. I thought about this thing alone before I went to bed last night and now I know what I have to do.

Sean is an amazing person and I made a huge mistake yesterday when I turned him down. I can see myself happy with him and he's genuinely interested in me. The whole thing I had with Mr Wilson was a flop. He has moved on and it's time for me to move on too.

I arrived at work and made my way to the elevator.

I will be handing my letter to the HR department on the 8th floor since Mr Wilson is not around for me to give him directly. Maybe they would notify him by email about my resignation.

But before then I went to the 4th floor. I knocked on the door to Sean's office. When he answered I opened the door and walked in.

He was sitting down behind his desk but the moment he saw me, he stood up abruptly.  He seemed surprised to see me... but then, why wouldn't he be? After what happened yesterday, he probably wouldn't have expected me to be back. At least, not so soon.

"Hi." I said awkwardly.

"Sophia... I... I wasn't expecting you today."

I smiled.

"About yesterday," he started, "I am terribly sorry about what happened. My actions were completely out of line and I shouldn't have done that to you. Are you able to forgive me? And is there any way we can put it behind us?"

He sounded so apologetic which made me want to forgive him, even though he never offended me in the first place.

"Oh Sean!" I walked towards him, placing my bag on his desk before I wrapped my arms around him. He froze but hugged me back eventually. "There's nothing to forgive."

"You're not upset?"

"Of course not. If anyone should apologize, it's me. I'm sorry for the way I acted afterwards."

He hugged me back more tightly this time. 

"I'm so relieved." He said, pulling back. "I also have some news."

"Me too, but you first."

"Adam called. He asked of you." He said.

My heart stopped beating for three seconds before it started to function normally again.

He asked of me??? I thought he had completely forgotten about me?!

I was undeniably happy to hear that Mr Wilson called to ask of me. A part of me also wished that it wasn't work related. Maybe he just wanted see me, find out if I was okay, or hear my voice...

"What did he say?" I said, sounding more desperate than I intended.

"Well... it was yesterday, right after you left. He needed you to be a coordinator at an event he was attending but since you weren't available he found a substitute.'

"Oh." I said flatly.

Firstly, I felt extremely stupid to think he actually called to know about my wellbeing!