Chapter Four: Blood

Rachel woke up to airy whispers in her room. She looks around but doesn't see anything. 11:53 PM. What is whispering her name at that time? Surely the curious child would find out. 

She slides out of her bed and walks through the darkness of her room to her bedroom door. She slowly opens it, hoping not to wake anyone. She can hear a mosquito bussing around her but she can't see it. The annoying buzz of the bug sends her away from her door and into the hallway. Tiptoeing down the wooden stairs isn't easy for Rachel with all the noise it made. 

She successfully reaches the bottom. Way down the hallway is where Rachel found the flashlight. She enters the room quietly and sees the flashlight resting on top of the toolbox. Easy grab. luckily she didn't have to open the nosey toolbox. 

She head towards the basement with the flashlight on then closes the door behind her quietly after entering.  She hurriedly walks over to the box and shines the light on it. The eyes are there. 

"Hi there," Rachel says. "I heard you calling my name."

The eyes stare at her. "Yes. I did."

Rachel stands the flashlight on its base so she could see Georgie's eyes and her surroundings. 

"Did you close the door?" Georgie asks. "I don't want you to get in trouble again." 

Rachel nodded. She didn't hear that last part because Georgie spoke so low. "Georgie, why do you talk like that?" The curious girl asks.

"I have not had a drink in a long long time," Georgie says. Rachel scoots closer to the box so she can hear him better. 

"I can get you some water if you want," Rachel suggests.

"No, no. I do not drink water." Georgie says.

"Juice?"

"No."

"We have soda."

"I do not drink soda."

"Milk?"

"No."

Rachel shrugs. "Then what do you drink?" 

"I drink blood," Georgie says. "It's what keeps me alive."

"Blood?" Rachel says a little too loudly.

"Yes."

"How can you drink blood?" She asks.

"I'm...different." He says. "Just like you cannot see out of one eye, or some people can't breathe in crowded places. I don't drink water, or juice, or milk. I drink blood. It's okay to be different...right?"

Rachel shrugs. "I guess so. How do you know I am blind in one eye."

"The walls have ears," Georgie says. "Perhaps I can help you with something. I see that you have dry blood on your arm. If you can spare a little, I can make your eye better again."

"But how can I spare you my blood?" Rachel asks. "It's dry."

"Put your arm underneath the box," Georgia says. "But do not lift the box up." He quickly adds.

Rachel slowly crawls closer to the box. She doesn't hesitate to slide her arm underneath. The eyes in the holes move and Rachel can no longer see them. A few seconds pass and nothing happens. She's about to pull her arm out when she feels something slimy move across her arm and begin to suck at the scratches her father left. It wasn't painful but it felt uncmfortable. She tried to move her arm but whatever was under the bo did not let go.