Chapter Five: Promise

After a minute, Rachel is able to win back her hand from Georgie's grip. Georgie lets out a refreshing sigh. "Ahh, amazing." Rachel sits up and Georgie's eyes show again. Rachel wipes the long line of blood slowly oozing from her scratch.  "Thank you so much." He says. 

Georgie's voice is different now. It's no longer dry and dead. It's clear and full of excitement. "You're welcome," Rachel says crossing her legs. She's upset but she wants to hide it.

"That should last me a few days." He says.

"How long have you been down here?" Rachel asks.

"Many years. I've always been down here, hiding." He says.

"Why do you hide?"

"People look at me differently." He goes. "They don't see me as a living being. One look at me and everyone's so quick to judge. I have feelings too."

"You can't look so bad." Rachel tries to sound convincing.

"I wish I could believe you. I have never had a friend in my life. So I hide here." 

"But why in our basement?"

"This was my home first."

Rachel nods not wanting to question his judgment. "Okay," She goes. "Now, what about my eye? How will you heal it?"

"You could close your eyes and I will come out the box so I can heal you." He says.

"Why do I have to close my eyes?" She asks.

"Because you will be afraid if you see me." He says.

"But I won't," She says. "I promise."

"What's...promise?" He asks.

Rachel shrugs. "It's something a friend never breaks. When you promise something you can't ever break that. It's a trust."

Georgie thinks for a few seconds before talking. "So, are you calling me your friend?"

Rachel smiles. "Yes. Why not?"

The eyes disappear inside of the box again. Two small hands slide from underneath then lifts the box making it fall behind Georgie. Georgie's appearance did, in fact, make Rachel think twice, but she kept her judgments to herself. Georgie is only two feet tall! His skin is gray and wrinkly. His bones show through his strange rough skin. His head isn't circle, it's more of a flat oval shape. He has small sharp pointy teeth and more than one should have. As Rachel stares at him she notice's that he has no tongue, only a mouth full of sharp teeth. He also has two pointy elf ears and no nose. 

There's a long silence between them. 

"Are you afraid?" Georgie finally breaks that silence. 

Rachel only shakes her head. "No." She lies. She is indeed afraid, but she's also curious about Georgie. If he could heal her eyes, that means he could do other stuff too...