Chapter Six: The Belt

"I'm going to start now," Georgie says placing his small hand over her blind eye. His hand feels like a wet paper towel against her face. Georgie closes his eyes then opens them again. He takes a few steps back.

"Done." He says. Rachel closes one eye to test the other. To her amazement she was indeed able to see again.

"I can see!" She says. "I can't believe it."

Georgie smiles a wide smile that's almost too scary to bare. "Believe it."

Rachel stands up and hugs Georgie.

"What is this you are doing?" He asks.

She breaks the hug and steps back and gives him an are you serious look. "It's a hug." she says. "Like people hug  when they want to say thanks, or show an act of kindness or just because they like someone."

Georgie nods. "Oh my. I like this...um hug."

Before Rachel could say anything, someone opens the basement door and walks down the stairs. It's John.

"Well I'll be damned," he says in a low voice. John reaches for her hand and pulls her up the stairs.

Georgie slowly crawled inside his box. His yellow eyes turn dark red as he hears John yelling at Rachel.

John turns on the kitchen light, slowly taking off his belt. "I'm going to teach you a lesson." he says.

Rachel begins to cry and closes her eyes as she waits for her punishment. She hears the metal of the belt jingle.  She breathes heavily while waiting. Almost a minute passes and nothing happens. Rachel slowly opens her eyes and sees the belt an inch away from her face and John's still body.

Rachel gasps and takes a step back as the belt floats out of John's hand. The belt swiftly swings against John's face leaving loud smacks through the air. When my mother walks in the belt quickly drops in front of Rachel and John can move again. He holds his face which is full of red slashes. A little blood appears on his face.

"Son of a!" He's kicking at the ground while holding his face. "She hit me in the face!"

Martha glares angrily at Rachel. She grabs her hand, squeezing as she lowered her head to face Rachel's. "You are in big trouble! What did you do that for?!"

Rachel sobs and shakes her head. "But it wasn't me. It was Georgie!"

"Go to your room! You are not allowed to come down until Friday." Martha yells.

As Rachel runs upstairs, Martha takes a cigarette from her ear and lights it up. She blows the smoke in John's direction. "You two drive me crazy." With that said, she walks upstairs and heads to bed.

When John stands up he notices somehing strange about his belt. It's gone.

***
Georgie closes the basement door then hides under his box again, licking the belt over and over. "So good." he moans as he licks the dry blood off of the belt. "Need more. Need more."