11. White

MADDIE POV

Olivia sat on the other side of the kitchen table. She was tapping her small fingers on the wood and glaring at me like I was some kind of prey. I think she knew something was up.

"So, why have I been summoned?" she asked dramatically.

"Um, well, I know you're good at planning parties." I shrugged, trying not to make a big deal out of this.

"Yes," she nodded, "continue."

"Justin and I are having a small party... soon."

Olivia pulled out a large legal pad and fancy fountain pen. "And I've been requested for my wonderful services. Say no more. When is this party?"

"In five days," I said quickly.

"Next Saturday? Interesting. And what kind of party is it? Housewarming?"

"Um, no." I hid my engagement ring under the table and twirled it around my finger.

"Maddie, I'm trying to help-I really am-but I haven't gotten a single ounce of information out of you."

"Well, it's going to be small, just the family, no friends..." I said, and she started writing, "we're going to need a priest and a small reception type thing. And I'll probably need a white dress."

It took her a second, but then it clicked. Olivia stood up so quickly that I thought she was going to shoot through the roof. "Maddie, I swear to God, if you're getting married, I'm going to rip the hair from your head."

"Calm down," I begged.

"No, I won't calm down!"

"I can do it by myself if you get too caught up in all this."

"Like hell you can." She started to pace furiously. Francis seemed to think it was some kind of game and started chasing after her with each circuit. "You can't do this to me. And five days to plan? Oh, my Lord. I think I'm having heart palpitations."

"I just need twenty chairs at most, and a priest to preside over the thing. We don't even have to have a reception afterwards."

"Have you even been to the church for your mandatory couples counseling. You can't marry Catholic without it."

"Then we won't go Catholic."

"Are you trying to kill me?" She clutched her chest. "You are, aren't you?"

"Okay, Olivia, this isn't about you. This is my wedding day and I asked you to help because I thought you would enjoy it, but I can handle everything. I don't need you."

Her face fell slightly and she calmed down. "I'm sorry. I just needed to get that out. I have five days and never in my life have I a met a challenge I couldn't tackle. Does anyone else know about this?"

"They will when they get the invitations. We're trying to keep it really quiet so no one makes a big deal of it."

"But this is your wedding day. It's supposed to be a big deal."

"We don't really have time to plan something massive and invite hundreds of people. Jeremy's leaving in a week. Besides, everyone already thinks Justin and I are married. It wouldn't look good if our announcement was in the paper or something like that."

She nodded. "Well then, you've come to the right person. City wedding or are you doing it here?"

"In the backyard, if possible."

"Okay, I'm feeling it." Olivia closed her eyes and started massaging her temples. "Night, clear skies, soft music, colors of midnight blue and white. White roses, candles, aisle, chairs, tent; very intimate. I love it." Her eyes snapped open.