31. Reunion

MADDIE POV

"Anything else I need to know?" Robert Brown asked from across the table.

"No, I've told you everything I can remember." I tapped my fingers.

"Are you sure, Mrs. Bieber?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I don't want you in my house anymore. Gioni will escort you out." I left the table and stomped into thekitchen, leaving him alone in the dining room.

He was here to get the details on the rather eventful elevator ride Justin and I had taken a week ago. It was probably one of the scariest things I had ever experienced and all happened so quickly. I only remembered snippets, flashes of that night.

The evidence was still over my arms and hands; cuts that were raw to the touch, but looked slightly better than they did a couple days ago. I had to rub them down with some kind of ointment that Katy Nana had and bandage them up to quicken the healing process.

"How was it?" Justin asked when I walked into the kitchen. He was seating on a barstool, sipping a beer.

"I sent him away. I can't stand that man."

"I guarantee you he took this case just to get on my nerves. Besides, I already know who did it and I'm handling things."

"I'll kill him if he ever steps foot in my house again."

"Maybe he's being nice," Carmela said sweetly, setting a glass of water in front of me.

"There is no such thing as a nice Robert Brown."

"Jackass," Justin checked his watch, "I told him to hurry up because we had to catch a flight and now we're late."

I exhaled, "Right. We have everything we need?"

"Most importantly, the babies," Justin said.

Roman and Sophia were dressed warmly in coats, sweaters, and swaddled in blankets. They stayed situated in their double stroller, wide awake and excited at the prospect of going out. Even though I'm sure they were confused as to where. Our bags were right next to them, filled with things we would need for the week away during the Thanksgiving holidays.

To say that I was nervous would be the ultimate understatement. I was petrified. He had been so aggressive with his thoughts on my marriage and life before, it still hurt. Anna said he was sorry, and I knew he probably was, but it didn't make me forget. I could forgive him, though. I always did. We just needed to have a deep conversation about things.

I knew he wanted to see the babies. Rebecca had made a big deal about him not being here when they were born, and I felt bad about it. They were his grandchildren, the only biological ones he would ever have. He needed to be in their lives. I could put off my uneasiness for them.

On top of all the family drama, I had to pump myself up for going back into the lion's den that was Thorp, Washington. This retirement party Freddie was having would be a big deal. He was their local hero. I expected everyone to be there, including people from high school whom I hadn't seen in years. It was worse than a reunion, because their perception of me had changed so much. I knew they read the things that were said about me online and of course, they all had their suspicions about Justin.

What was I supposed to say to them?

"Hey, stop overthinking it." Justin took my hand. "I know everything that's going on in that pretty little head of yours, and I don't like what I see."

"What if they all hate me?"

"They probably do, but you've got to prove them wrong. Make them like you again. But your first propriety is your father."