18. Holding the Apples Hostage

JUSTIN POV

I took one pill...then another... then another... then another.

I readjusted my glass on my nose and read the fucking label on the container. It would probably be best if I knew what the fuck I was ingesting. Valium. Well, praise Jesus for it. I don't know if I would even be able to make it another year without the stuff. Living my life was stressful only made more so by my headstrong, stubborn, uncontrollable, incredibly gorgeous wife.

My car was gone. Not just any car, but the car. The one I polished in my free time, if I ever had any. The one I hadn't even turned on since buying it for fear that the engine might get overheated. The one that I stared at every morning, wishing I could drive it to work, but knew I couldn't. My Bugatti only was it stolen from my garage, but it was done out of spite.

She wanted me to hear the engine roaring out of the driveway and she wanted me to get angry about it.

I began reading the pill bottle, "Side effects include: Drowsiness, muscle weakness, tiredness... New or worsening mental or mood changes, confusion, difficulty breathing, fainting, fever, chills, or persistent sore throat, hallucinations..."

The list went on forever. I would gladly accept it all, though, if I could just have five fucking minutes of peace.

Jaxon poked his head into my office. "You brought this on yourself."

"Get out." I rubbed my forehead.

"She took your damn car because you're treating her like an invalid." He disobeyed me and sauntered in, chomping on some chips. Crumbs were sprinkling everywhere, but our wonderful dog began lapping them up in his wake.

"Get out!" I roared and then quickly worked to calm myself down before continuing. "Please, just leave me alone."

"You can't expect to disable Maddie's car and just sit back while she gets driven around everywhere. She's tougher than that."

"I thought you were going to the grocery store with her," I growled. "Why can't you just go by yourself? She's not your maid."

"Uh, as I recall, I was banned from shopping for food."

"You brought twenty frozen pizzas. Why in the hell would you buy twenty frozen pizzas?" I recalled the last grocery store debacle. "We didn't even have enough room for them all."

He shrugged, taking a seat. "I was hungry. When do you think she'll get back?"

"When she's done shopping." I slammed my fist down, "I'm getting a housekeeper. We should have someone who does all of this medial shit. Why is Maddie going to the store this late? It's not rational."

"She likes being independent."

"I don't care. I refuse to let her..."

"Stop right there." Jaxon raised his hand. "If you use that type of language, she'll kill us both. Maddie doesn't want a housekeeper. She likes to clean and cook all by herself. It makes her feel useful."

"She'll have to deal." I picked up another bottle of pills and took two, not bothering to read the labels on this one. I just knew it made me feel better.

"Well, you have to admit, the Bugatti is one hell of a car. And you don't drive it, so why can't she?"

"Because it's a racing car. She doesn't need to be in anything that fast in her condition."

"She's not a doll, you know."

"Everyone keeps saying that," I replied, sighing through my nose. "I just want her to be safe, and it seems like everything I try to do is just making her madder."