22. Execution

JUSTIN POV

I was agitated-as I usually am when I'm away from Maddie-but tonight, I just wanted to get home. I had been working a full twelve hours, since I missed an entire weekend of work traveling to Thorp a couple days ago.

I sighed just thinking about how much of a mess that was.

I had been in a meeting and ignored two phone calls, one from Jaxon and one from Jane. But when Keegan called, I knew something was up. I answered and he told me that Freddie was trying to contact me because Maddie was in the hospital. I almost had a heart attack on the plane ride to Washington, and when I eventually got there, Freddie had to throw a fit. I wasn't prepared, nor in the mood, to deal with him when my wife was suffering a couple doors away. Yet, he laid into me about putting her in danger and taking her from him.

I couldn't hold myself back and said a few things I probably shouldn't, but I have no regrets. He needed to hear what a little bitch he was being. There were bigger things to deal with than his fragile mood.

I was livid at whatever twist of fate that gave Maddie a fucking infection, a rare infection, at that. It didn't make sense. Was Ithe only one in the world who had to deal with this shit? Was all the evil dumped on my shoulders?

We stayed the weekend in the hospital, and I made sure to do all the research I could on toxoplasmosis. Apparently, she should be fine in a couple of weeks, and the harm to the babies was slim, but I was still freaking out. What if we hadn't caught it in time? I couldn't even think about that.

Babies...

Two of them. Not just one, but two. I still couldn't comprehend it, but when we heard the heartbeats on the sonic ultrasound, Maddie's face almost broke from smiling so much. I couldn't show my uneasiness. I was finally able to identify my emotion with this pregnancy, though. It was discomfort. I wasn't mad or scared, but I was just confused a little. I didn't understand it all.

But did any of that matter? No, because Maddie was happy, and she wanted this. I would get on board with anything that made her this ecstatic. She had been twirling around since our return home, and the fight with Freddie was all but forgotten. I didn't think they'd ever talk again.

Maddie told the family, and they were happy, as well. Olivia was overjoyed, and Bridget cried a lot. I got pats on the back from my brothers, and even Amun cracked a smile at the news.

But that was a couple of days ago. Everyone had since settled, and I had to get back to work.

"William, what time is it?" I asked from the backseat of the Aston Martin.

"Midnight, sir."

"He's late," I grumbled.

"I know, sir, but he'll be here. He wouldn't dare miss a meeting with you."

I nodded.

"Don't worry. He's too scared to not show." Finn fixed his jacket next to me. He was the only one I brought along tonight.

The car was parked underneath a secluded bridge in a questionable part of town. The Chicago River was to my left, and I swore I saw a tumbleweed pass by. In the shadows where we were, the city lights didn't reach the car, and I knew we would be hidden from prying eyes.

Tonight was a night of the utmost importance. I would be cementing my reign as the fucking king of this town. I just had to take care of unfinished business.

I really wanted to get back home to my wife. I hadn't seen her since seven this morning, and it was starting to wear on me. We talked over the phone and texted, but I didn't have time to meet her for dinner before she had work. I didn't even eat dinner myself. Maddie was always so supportive and never complained, but I knew we needed our time together. My attitude was more in check when I had seen her at least once throughout the day. That unfortunately didn't happen today.