38. Confessions

JUSTIN POV

I picked up the bright yellow tennis ball and threw it across the yard with a grunt. Bosco took off, his four feet running so fast they blended together. His tongue lulled to the side as he searched for the ball. Once he found it, he ran back to me, dropping it again.

The sun was hot and the breeze was fairly tame. Spring was here in full force. The birds were reawakening after a cold winter and the rain was bringing with it bright flowers that seemed to sprout up every second.

"You've got to be tired by now." I picked it up and let my arm go. We had been out here for over an hour, but he kept running. Francis didn't see the need to overexert himself and lied at my feet, resting. He knew better than to compete with Bosco.

"Mr. Justin, lunch is ready." Agata snuck up behind me, her voice soft and timid.

"Okay." I turned around and started to walk back to the house with the dogs following.

I had been working more from home lately, which left me a lot of time to take short breaks for lunch and a nap. Maddie was cracking down on my regiment, stating that I wouldn't live to see thirty-five if I kept this up.

"We're having pastrami sandwiches." Maddie said in a snipped tone. She wasn't very happy with me at the moment. We had a massive fight this morning. About what, I wasn't exactly sure anymore.

"Sounds good to me." I sat at the table. The babies were already in their highchairs.

Roman had proceeded to throw all his Cheerios on the floor, and his face was smothered in mashed bananas. I wiped him clean, but it didn't do much to help. Sophia, on the other hand, was prim and proper. She ate each of her Cheerios with delicate fingers, bringing the food to her mouth slowly before chewing.

"What a good girl you are." I moved some hair out of her face, "So sweet."

"Here." Maddie placed a plate in front of me roughly. The giant sandwich looked mouthwatering, but her attitude made it impossible to eat.

"I take it you're still mad at me." I leaned back in my seat.

"Yes, and I don't want to talk to you right now." She sat across from me, sucking on her teeth.

"Are we still fighting?"

She nodded stiffly.

"I forgot how bitchy you can get when you're hormonal." I took a bite of my sandwich.

Maddie picked up an orange from the centerpiece in the table and threw it at my forehead. It fell to the floor with a plop.

"That hurt," I mumbled.

"Don't call me a bitch."

"I said you were bitchy!"

"And I'm not hormonal, Justin," Maddie spat.

"Yes, you are. You've been flushing tampons down the toilet for two days and this anger isn't worth me fighting over." I continued to eat.

Maddie glared at me so fiercely, that I didn't want to even look at her.

"You're a stubborn ass," She shook her head.

"Maddie, I'm not retiring. Stop trying to force it on me."

"You'll die before you can even see the kids go to kindergarten. Can't you see that I'm trying to keep you here with us for as long as I can?"

"It's not your job to look out for me. I can take care of myself."

"I'm your wife. It is my job and I'm the only one who's taking it seriously. You can't work sixteen hour days, sleep for five, and then get up to do it all over again. It's not healthy."