20. The Heist

JUSTIN POV

The speed boat was racing through the water and cutting the waves in half. The motion was quite peaceful and almost lulled me to sleep.

Amun was skilled at many things, including piloting various forms of machinery. He had become rather handy; I think I might keep him around. Maddie hated me for it, but I didn't care. As long as she was safe.

She was currently snuggled up to me on the comfortable bedding of the boat. My arm was over her shoulders, and we both looked out over the ocean as our speed increased. It didn't seem to be bothering her stomach at all. I was thankful. Vomiting would ruin the romantic and peaceful atmosphere I was trying to create.

We had arrived in Spain only yesterday, and she was already asking me to take her everywhere. She would get tired out before the fun really even started. I was trying to pace our vacation. We were on our way to the private island, which would be our homestead for the next four days. I had to get away with her. I needed it.

I actually didn't mind being on vacation with the family. It had been a long time, and it was necessary to leave Chicago for sanity's sake. This was the perfect place for an escape. I grinned to myself as I thought about their faces this morningwhen they woke up. Maddie and I had prevented them from falling asleep with our late night shouting. They could laugh at me all they wanted for not getting blowjobs, but there was no denying the fact that I knew how to fuck my wife... really well.

But as much as I wanted to enjoy my honeymoon, I still had to remember that this was also a trip for business. That would come later.

For now, I was happy holding my wife close to me.

"Where are we going?" Maddie asked over the roar of the engine.

"To our own private getaway," I said vaguely.

"I don't know what that means." Her brow crinkled. I started to smooth the lines out with my thumb.

"You'll know when we get there. Not too much further."

We had already been riding for about an hour, and we would soon begin to see the small landmass I had purchased from a wealthy businessman last week. He was looking to get rid of it, being on his deathbed and all. I offered him cash, and it was a pretty penny, but worth it. Jeremy had his own island, now so did I. Maddie would freak if she knew I bought it for her as yet another wedding gift. I'd tell her later, after she'd enjoyed it too much to get upset.

Amun kept his eyes on the horizon, not moving and barely blinking. I sometimes thought he was a robot. Maddie hated the guy with a passion. I just laughed at her protests.

My bicep was still sore as hell, but I could care less. I had been through worse. The far more serious issue was that of Maddie's safety, hence the new guards. She didn't know it yet, but when we got back home, the house would be outfitted with more security. I wasn't taking any chances. After Mangicavallo's threat and the grocery store incident-two unrelated occurrences that put her in danger-I was more paranoid than ever. And on top of that, I now had a baby to think about.

I shook my head, casting my eyes down behind my sunglasses at Maddie's stomach. She liked to wear things that concealed her belly. Today's was another flowing sundress, a dark green color. But when I took off her clothes at night, before we start rolling under the sheets, I could see just how big she was getting. We were only on month three, and she was starting to look like she'd swallowed a small basketball. I didn't know if that was normal or not, but we had a doctor's appointment scheduled for when we return to Chicago.

I think she thought that I didn't like seeing the evidence of her pregnancy. On some level, she was right. I realized that it was mine, and that the baby would be coming soon, but I wasn't ready. I wouldn't be a good father. Everyone seemed to disagree, but I knew it deep in my soul. I still couldn't wrap my mind around a baby right now.