30. Social Law

JUSTIN POV

"Riposte, Jaxon!" I shook my head. "Jesus, have I taught you nothing?"

"Justin, shut up," he growled. "I can do this myself."

"Well then, get to it, because from where I'm standing, you're getting your ass kicked."

"You keep fucking distracting me. Shut up!"

Jaxon replaced his mask and stepped up to Mario, clashing foils before they dueled again. It was rather pathetic. While Jaxon was pretty impressive at fencing, Mario was better. They had formed quite the friendship over the past couple of months, mainly based around video games and sports. But it was nice to see Jaxon with a guy around his age. He had never had that before.

"Jaxon, watch your left foot," I shouted, "Riposte!"

He was getting more and more frustrated, but didn't give up. Mario was just too fast.

We were currently in at the gym near my office, after a long day at work, needing to release some energy. Fencing wasone of those things that I could do and just not think about it. I could move my body, jab, and win without even really breaking a mental sweat. That's what I liked. No rational thought process needed.

"This sport is stupid." Jaxon took off his mask and threw it on the ground.

"You're extending your torso too much," Mario replied calmly. "Stop forcing it."

"I hate you," Jaxon spat. Mario chuckled.

"That was possibly the worst excuse for a match I have ever seen in my life," I tsked.

"Just because you went to the Olympics and had some otherworldly fencing skills, doesn't mean we all do."

"You went to the Olympics, sir?" Mario asked.

"Junior Olympics," I corrected.

"Yeah, and you only got a bronze, so you're obviously not all that." Jaxon shoved me. He had a temperament similar to mine and didn't take well to losing.

"Don't push me." I shoved him back.

"Sir, let's just cool off," Mario wisely advised, separating the both of us.

Jaxon stalked off towards the locker rooms.

"What the fuck is wrong with him?"

"He's pissed because Jane went to go see her family for the long weekend."

"He's such a baby." I took a towel and wiped the sweat from my face.

Jaxon came back not ten seconds later with a happier mood. "She made it."

"Who made it?" I asked.

"Jane. She's back in Miami, safe and sound."

I shrugged.

"There was a tropical storm coming. I had to make sure she was okay," Jaxon said adamantly.

"Is that why you were being such a bitch?"

"I was worried. Leave me alone." He rolled his eyes. "Can we go home now?"

"Yeah." I picked up my gym bag and slung it over my shoulder. "But we're going to work on your passata-sottos. You're incredibly sloppy."

"Yeah, whatever. Can Mario come over for dinner?"

"Sure, I guess."

"Dude, you have to see the new TV I got. It's like living in a movie theater."

"Is it HD?" Mario asked, excitedly.

"Of course."

The two nerds discussed technology the entire way home. I had never really spent any time with Mario outside of work until recently, but I was starting to find out that he brought a lot to the table. He was incredibly smart, but lacking in basic authoritative skills. He didn't own a car, his apartment was a shitty studio in a bad part of town, and his family was in debt up to their eyeballs from putting him through college. He was stressed, and I wasn't making it any better. I was taking Maddie's advice and laying off of him for a while; an early Christmas gift maybe.