14. Choke

JUSTIN POV

Maddie had something to say. It was on the tip of her tongue, but she wouldn't speak the words.

We were currently sitting in the back of a limo on the way to dinner before the opera. Jaxon and Jane were talking softly to each other and giggling like school children. Maddie was seated on the other side of the seat, looking out of the window, trying to put as much space as possible between us.

I was trying not to become obsessed with her secret. What could it be? I didn't want to start thinking about what she was hiding, and it made my skin crawl the more I tried to guess.

The one thing that Maddie and I had, above all else, was trust. We always told each other everything. What made this time so different? Was she sleeping with someone else?

My eyesight turned red as the thought passed me by. I had to calm myself down because I needed to have a clear head right now. Besides, I would certainly know if Maddie was cheating on me.

So what is it?

Maybe Jaxon knew. I looked him up and down, trying to decide if he showed any signs of lying. He was more occupied with Jane and her hand in his. I was sure he wouldn't keep anything from me if it was big.

I then looked to Maddie again. She was sniffling and trying to wipe tears from her face without me seeing. I sighed, knowing that whatever she was keeping was probably beating her up inside. She wanted to tell me, but couldn't. Why?

I stretched my arm out and wrapped it around her body from behind, pulling her across the seat. She slid into me and tried to hide her face.

"Maddie, you're starting to worry me. Did I do something?" I whispered into her hair.

"No, I'm fine. I just need some time to think."

"Will you tell me soon?"

She nodded. "It's not anything bad..."

"Are you sure?"

"I think so."

I took the handkerchief out of my tux pocket and began to gently wipe her face clean. "Are you hurt?"

"No, Justin. I'm not hurt." She smiled sadly. "Don't worry about me. I'll tell you soon. I promise."

I nodded and put the thoughts out of my head. She would tell me soon.

Maddie seemed to pick up in spirits pretty quickly and started talking to Jane for the rest of the way to the restaurant, which was conveniently across the street from the Chicago Opera House.

Thankfully, the opera was one recreational activity I could stand. I liked the music, of course, but it was more than that. I could lose myself in a good opera, especially a classic such as Don Giovanni.

All throughout dinner, I kept a close eye on Maddie, but she seemed to be better. I decided not to neurotically search for answers. As long as she wasn't in trouble or hurt I could handle anything else.

The restaurant was filled with nicely dressed people on their way to the opera, and everyone was trying their hardest to outdo each other. This was a social event that brought out the best of Chicago. I didn't know if Maddie realized it yet, but everyone was looking at us. This was our "coming out", I guessed you could say. I didn't tell her that everyone would want to speak to us or shake our hands. Almost overnight, I had become the unofficial mayor of this city when Jeremy left.

Even at dinner, while we ate, people would come over and say, "We don't want to interrupt your meal..." and then proceed to do so anyway with their fake smiles. Old men would try to get past their prejudices about how some young whippersnapper had more money than them, and high-society ladies would look Maddie as if she was a piece of meat. No doubt, we would be the subject of gossip at tomorrow's luncheons, business meetings, and tea parties.