A Chance Encounter: Xylon

Xylon×Character {Fanmade One-shot}

Dedicated to JCWine, Xylon belongs to her!~

Knowing that someone was watching him from behind, Xylon smirked as he set to prepare a trap for whoever that was.

He quickened his footsteps, hearing how the soft shuffling of feet followed behind him. Xylon broke into a run, and ducked behind a tree, waiting stealthily for the culprit.

"Gotcha!" Xylon yelled in triumph as he tackled the dark figure, feeling startled when he heard a high-pitch scream and giggling from his captive.

"A... Little girl..?" Xylon blinked in surprise, staring at the child laughing in his arms.

"Hey, mister! Do that one more time!" The little girl clapped her hands in delight, having a fun time with what she thought was a game.

"Mister huh? I'm not that old!" Xylon joked as he helped the girl up to her feet. He brushed off the dirt on his clothes, and observed the kid.

The young girl had an innocent charm around her, her storm grey eyes filled with joy as she beamed at Xylon. Her black hair drifted around her like her light blue dress, as if the wind was trying to blow her away.

"Once more! Please?~"

"Fine." Xylon chuckled, seeing no harm in playing with this child. After all, he was definitely stronger even if she's not what she seems to be.

"Yay!~" The girl cheered, before taking Xylon's hand.

"Hmm? Wow! Your hand is really big!~"

"Of course it is. You're still little, so when you grow up, you'll grow bigger." Xylon answered, covering the small palm with his own. This  touch felt strangely cool and comforting, even though Xylon couldn't help notice a nagging feeling about something unnatural.

"... Growing up huh?" The girl murmured to herself, Xylon barely catching the soft words that she spoke.
She smiled wistfully, looking away sadly as she gazed at the unknown that she could only see.

"Hmm?" The girl realised that Xylon was staring at her with a grim and questioning expression.

"Say, what were you thinking about?" Xylon asked, watching the girl turn towards him.

"It's nothing~" The girl chirped, pulling her hand away from his grip.
"Do you know how to make flower chains?~"

"Huh?" Xylon blinked, surprised at that kind of question.

"Come on! I know a great place!~" The girl tugged on Xylon's arm, leading him.

*~*~*~*~*

"I really don't know how to make a chain." Xylon grumbled in annoyance as he fumbled with the squashed flowers, attempting to tie them together by their stalks.

"See!~  Small hands are better at this, right?~" The girl laughed as she gingerly completed the chain into a yellow headband. She held it out to Xylon, beaming proudly at her masterpiece.

"Yeah, I guess so." Xylon grinned sheepishly, nodding at the pretty flower crown that she had.

"Here you go~" The girl announced, placing the crown on Xylon's head as she stood up to compensate for the height difference.

"Thank you, Your Majesty!~"  Xylon bowed, kneeling as he played along as a knight of some sort to his "Queen". Leaving the child in giggles as she knighted her chosen one.

"Do you want me to teach you how to make one?" The girl piped, tilting her head sweetly as she lifted a smaller circlet of blue flowers.

"Sure!" Xylon agreed readily, having fun accompanying the girl.

The two of them continued to make chains. Sometimes as a teacher and her student, sometimes as a knight assisting a princess. Others as a ferocious dragon and a knight, and all as if they had known each other for a very long time.

"...Who are you?" Xylon asked, his eyes watching his hands lacing the flowers.

"Hmm~  They call me Sophie of the River," The girl answered, nodding towards the other end of the meadows.

"Sophie huh? It's a very pretty name," Xylon smiled at Sophie, and her eyes widened in delight.
"Really?"

"Yup!~ And you're equally as beautiful as your name too!" Xylon added, reaching out to touch the child's dark hair, earning a giggle from her.

"... The sun is setting. I won't be here anymore," Sophie said softly, closing her eyes and a tender smile appeared on her lips.

"Thank you, big brother~" Sophie hugged Xylon tightly and she was gone.

Xylon gazed at the river that Sophie had mentioned, before heading towards it. As he listened to the tinkling trickle of the river flowing, he saw the white stone on the river bed.

Rest in peace, Sophia Everglade.