nine: sorry

CHAPTER NINE:

| emma’s pov |

“Luke, please. Talk to me,” I practically begged as I knocked on his bedroom door. I’ve been standing here for more than an hour. He made no sound, not even to assure me that he was actually listening.

I haven’t seen him for a long time. The only glimpse I got of him was when he opened the door to his house earlier. After closing it, which I was thankful for, he went straight past me, with no words spoken.

Our last conversation, his outburst, was last week. He avoided me. I tried and tried to reach out to him, but he never returned the favor of responding. And it bothered me, so much.

I wanted to tell him how much our friendship meant to me. I didn’t want it to be a short-lived relationship. We’ve only known each other for a few months, and it flew by so fast. 

I couldn’t believe he was growing on me, that he was important to me. I always thought he’d just be another annoying guy I’d have to put up with. But he wasn’t.

“Please, just let me know you’re here.” I expected, at least, a sound to be heard. Even if that sound was his door unlocking or the shuffling of his feet. 

But I was left empty-handed.

I slumped on the floor of his hallway. Maybe this didn’t mean that much to him. Maybe I didn’t mean anything to him. 

Before I knew it, my cheeks were wet with tears. I haven’t cried about something so silly in a long time. Then again, this wasn’t something childish to me. It was something that could crush my heart, and it was succeeding in doing so.

The tears kept falling continuously, and the dimly lit hall wasn’t helping, either. It just further brought me down. My breathing was also becoming uneven; I could hear myself sniffle every three seconds.

“Don’t cry,” a mellow voice said from beside me. 

Luke took it upon himself to stop myself from crying, as he kneeled in front of me. “I’m sorry, Emma,” he began, wiping the tears on my cheek with his thumb. “I… I was being selfish. I didn’t mean to tell you any of that. You were just showing your concern, and I didn’t realize that. I just… I’m really sorry.”

Having difficulty answering him, I continued to sob. I looked pathetic. I was crying a river in front of a guy I should be angry at. I couldn’t even see him through my own tears. 

But I forgive him; I don’t think I could last another day without him. It was probably just a spur of the moment, when he flared up. I knew I would snap, too.

“You’re not stopping,” he panicked. His hands were probably clutching his shirt from slight uneasiness. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Y-you don’t h-hav-“ 

I felt a pair of arms wrap around me. “Is this what they do?”

“N-no,” I spoke, haltingly. “B-but that’s g-good.”

He laughed, “Then I won’t stop.”

Author's Note: I think we're nearing the "off" part. Hooray! Dedicated to twerkingliam because I love her.