thirty-eight: have to

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT:

| emma’s pov |

“Ethan, please,” I pleaded, getting down on my knees. I was desperate for help. I had no one else to ask anymore. He was the only one left alive. I needed him to help me.

He pulled away from my grasp, scoffing. “I get it, Emma. Get up, we’re going on a fucking adventure,” he said, confident, pulling me up harshly.

If I didn’t have any other choice, I wouldn’t come looking for him, honestly. His city was three hours away from mine. I was surprised my mom agreed to give me money. But then again, I think she’s afraid I’d run away if she doesn’t do what I want.

Which I surely wouldn’t do, of course.

He pushed me inside his sports car, without a care in the world if I got hurt by his violence. I could only shake my head and get inside anyway.

“Where are we going, Ethan?”

“Back to that hellhole,” he replied, turning up his rock music, piercing my ears in the process. I thought I was going to become deaf from how high the volume was. 

“Which is?” I asked, again, turning down the volume.

He slapped my hand away, glaring at me. “This is my car; don’t touch it.” He rolled his eyes, like the first time we met. “We’re going back to that town. I’m going to show you around. Now, please, shut up.”

I gulped, rubbing my hand. That hurt, too.

But I had to be patient. He was doing me a big favor; it was just right if I do as he says. It was simple enough, anyway. 

Reaching the abandoned town, I crossed my arms, scared and cold. It was creepy here; maybe this was why I never thought of going here. 

It was also bad enough that it was nighttime. The only sources of light were the flickering street lamps. 

Ethan didn’t seem bothered by the darkness at all; he stood tall, observing his surroundings, as if he was familiarizing himself.

He grabbed, literally, my hand and dragged me off to the darkest place of the town.

“They were neighbors,” he blurted out, letting go of my hand and pointing towards the two houses in front of us. “But yeah, okay, I don’t think you even need that information.”

“No, actually, that’s helpful,” I told him, thoughtfully.

Luke and Tabitha were neighbors. I'd be able to use that in the future. I'm sure I'd be able to connect that to something.

He walked towards the house on the right. After noticing I wasn’t going after him, he turned around. “I thought you wanted to know more? Really, you’re not getting anywhere if you’re that slow.”

“But… but I don’t want to go in,” I mumbled, looking down.

He suddenly dragged me, yet again. “But you have to. Let’s go.”