forty-three: 7 pm

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:

| emma’s pov |

I shook the newspaper in my hands, not believing what I just read.

YOUNG MAN KILLED IN HIS OWN CAR,” the header said.

Originally, I wasn’t affected by this, but once I read the bottom, my mouth flew wide open, and long-forgotten fear build up inside of me.

A 23 year-old man, by the name of Ethan Smith, was found dead in his Lamborghini Murcielago, a known luxury sports car, yesterday night.” 

The first sentence taunted me, as if the letters I received were about Ethan. And soon enough, I was next in line. I continued reading, though I held my breath from fright.

The authorities say that he was choked to death, observing from the marks on his neck.”

Choked to death? Wasn’t that a bit similar to hanging? You’re… you’re choking yourself there, right?

The angle for this crime was attempted robbery.”

Then why didn’t they just throw Ethan’s body and stole the car? There was something else. The person who killed him had intentions; he wanted him to die because… because he knew that Ethan had knowledge about Tabitha.

He… Luke killed him. 

I mean, why wouldn’t he?

He killed the more than eight people, what makes me think he couldn’t kill another? Maybe he saw me and Ethan talking last week. Maybe… maybe he knew that I knew already.

Maybe I was really next.

Maybe I was going to die, too.

Because Luke never really did love me, did he?

He can kill me. He just needed me to be some object he can use. Something he can just throw away when he wants to.

I dropped the newspaper on the floor, from the thought, and a paper came flying out.

I was getting sick from all the papers, but I still picked it up and read it.

Meet me at the park in my old town. 7 pm. I have to tell you something important. –Luke Hemmings