twenty-two: rain

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:

| emma’s pov |

The weather seemed to mirror my emotions. The rain had me soaking wet, but I just sat on the sidewalk, bawling my eyes out. 

It was better this way, crying in the rain. Because it was true, no one would notice your tears. They would all just brush me off as some girl who’s sitting down, like an idiot.

It was the truth. I was an idiot. I am an idiot.

I knew. I always knew that Luke wasn’t open to anyone. I just forced myself in his life, didn’t I?

He didn’t need me; I was just another girl. I would always be a neighbor to him, someone he was forced to be nice to.

But I didn’t think his words would sting that hard. Maybe it hurt me because I did like him. Or maybe it was because I already loved him. The kiss did mean something to me, but it meant nothing to him. It was just to shut me up.

“Honey? Is that you?” I felt the raindrops stop hitting me; Vicky was covering me with her umbrella. 

I cleared my throat and wiped my tears. “H-hi, Vicky!” I greeted, standing up and facing her. Hopefully, my eyes weren’t as swollen as I thought, and she didn’t notice how pathetic I looked.

“Come, Emma. Let’s get you warmed up.” She held onto me, though I was drenched. At times like these, I was thankful for being an outgoing kid. If I wasn’t, then I wouldn’t have met Vicky.

Once we entered the bookshop, which apparently was where she lived, she placed her coat on me and left to go to the back, where her room probably was.

I observed the dark store, which was only lit by the small light bulb on the counter beside me. I never noticed, but it always looked gloomy. It oozed of mourning. 

“Here,” Vicky said, handing me a white, vintage dress. “That was Tabitha’s, I hope you don’t mind using it,” she added, ashamed. 

“No, no. It’s fine! I’m grateful that you’re actually helping me right now.” I gave a close-lipped smile, pulling her coat closer to me.

She returned it with her famous beams and nodded. “And if it’s not too much to ask, Emma. I… I want to tell you a story.”

I agreed, the interest in me growing. This would be able to get my mind off of things. I might be able to ask for help from Vicky, too. She might know what to do with what was happening. “Sure! About what, Vicky?”

Her light green eyes displayed deep sorrow, as she responded, “About my daughter, Tabitha.”