thirty-nine: least expect

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE:

| emma’s pov |

Ethan stopped the car in front of my house, the sun was shining bright, blinding me. 

“Thanks.” I gave him a small smile, patting his shoulder and unbuckling the seatbelt. 

“Wait a second, Emma,” he said, stopping me from opening the door of his car. “I know I’m six years older, but we co-“

I laughed softly, cutting him off. “Sorry, Ethan. I… have a boyfriend.”

He scowled, playfully. “What are you waiting for, then? Get out of the car.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thanks again,” I repeated, waving a hand.

This was probably the last time I’ll see him, and even though he was a jerk, I was still grateful for his help. I learned a lot of things about the two of them. How Luke was unusual and how everybody began to like him, out of the blue.

“If you and that blonde kid don’t work out, you know where to find me, okay?” He winked as I closed the door. I could only giggle at his flirting.

With that, he drove off, so fast that he was gone within seconds. I wonder why he hasn’t even gotten into an accident before.

I raised my shoulders, getting in my house and straight to my room. I had to get back to work then.

If anything, you should watch that blonde kid. I had a bad feeling about him before, and I still do,” Ethan told me earlier today, while we were in Luke’s old house. 

I didn’t actually want to think of that possibility because I knew Luke couldn’t kill anyone. He just couldn’t, right? I knew him well enough.

That’s what you think, Emma,” his counter in my head circled through my thoughts. It was true; I was quite the assumer.

But I just couldn’t imagine Luke doing it.

I just can’t.

He couldn’t have done it.

He was the nicest person I’ve ever met; he rarely got angry and would avoid fights. He just… he’s just reserved. He wouldn’t do anything wrong.

I picked up the last of the new books Vicky last gave me, trying to read it. A paper fell from inside. I picked up the seemingly crumpled paper and read what it said.

Sometimes, it’s the person you least expect.