thirty-seven: alive

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN:

| emma’s pov |

Crossing off the last of the names, I let out a frustrated sigh. None of them seemed to be the one I was looking for. The thought that maybe it was Ethan still lingered at the back of my mind, but I highly doubt it. 

But if there was one thing common from all of these people, they were all killed by bruises or by hanging. It was similar to how Tabitha died and how she killed. 

“Then who exactly did it?” I wondered aloud, tapping my finger on the table.

My phone rang, all of a sudden, and I was confused as to why Liz was calling me. 

“I found Luke’s drawing from when he was younger. I… I don’t know what it means, but I’ll send it you a picture, alright?” Liz’s voice was quite hoarse; she must’ve not slept.

“Okay. Thank you, Liz. We’ll find him soon, don’t worry,” I consoled, or at least tried.

She heaved a sigh of relief. “Thank you too, Emma. I’ll talk to you soon.”

The call ended, and I let out my own heavy breath. Things were getting hectic now, there was no one else I could think of who’d kill Tabitha.

Unless it was… it was…

My phone vibrated, and I looked at the photo Liz sent me. It was a drawing, just like she said. There were nine people in the drawing; they were all holding hands. 

The blonde one in the middle was enough to tell me that it was Luke. On his right was a girl, with her hair covering her face, but I was sure enough her eyes were green. At the bottom of each person, there were names.

Just as I thought, at the bottom of that girl was Tabitha. I moved on to the other kids in the picture. The names made my mouth hang open. Emily, Riley, Caitlin, Holly, Peter, Rebecca, Cameron. 

All those names were on the paper Vicky gave me.

They all died. 

They were the others, weren’t they?

But Ethan isn’t there.

Was that the reason why he’s the only one alive?