twenty-one: away

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:

| emma’s pov |

 He whipped around, covering his body with the shirt in his hand. I went in the room, closing the door and staring at him, awestruck.

Luke backed up against the wall, still desperately trying to hide his bare upper half from me. “E-Emma, what are you… why are you here?”

“What happened to you?” I ignored his question, making him turn around. There were handprints on his back, bruises on his front, and it just hurt me seeing them. It was like I could feel the pain, too.

He put on his shirt and held me by the shoulders. “You have to leave,” he firmly ordered, shaking me slightly but not hurting me.

“I don’t want to! Stop acting like this. Stop acting like… like you don’t care, like this doesn’t matter,” I screamed, getting his hands off of me.

Why was he so cold, all of a sudden? We were friends, and that was enough of a reason for me to be worried about him.

 “Don’t you get it, Emma?” He ran a hand through his hair, opening the door for me to go out. “I don’t care about what happens to me. And…” His blue eyes were showing no emotion as he looked at me. “I don’t care about you.” 

And I felt like an arrow pierced through my chest. 

“We’re friends, right?” My voice cracked as I tried to fight back tears. 

His expression was blank, and when I thought he’d nod, or just say yes, he scoffed. “We never were.” 

So, it was all a lie.

Without another word, I walked out of the room and out of their house. Liz called out to me, but I said nothing. All I did was run. I kept running until I felt my feet gave up. 

I just ran.

Away from him.

Away from everything.

Author's Note: Relatively short, sorry!