Chapter 12

After many hours of arguing back and forth with the Council, the Sorcerer decided it was best for Riley to return back to his home and wait things out with Erabeth until a decision was made for the best course of action against taking down the evil Sorceress. Riley would rather have stayed and shared her input, but that only made the Council angrier with her being there.

"Erabeth will keep thee company 'til I return," the Sorcerer said as he walked with Riley back into his small home.

"Father, dost thou return so soon?" Erabeth asked as she greeted them at the front door.

"I have only come to escort Riley," he sighed.

Erabeth nodded, understanding that she was to keep Riley entertained while her father returned to finish his business with the Council. The Sorcerer kissed his daughter on the cheek and nodded towards Riley before exiting to return to the Council.

Erabeth led Riley into the cottage, escorting her to take a seat at the round oak table. She had already prepared a simple meal of venison stew and had set the table for three people. Erabeth took the third bowl and loaf of bread away from the table, placing it near the large clay oven so her father could eat it later.

Riley waited for Erabeth to return to the table before taking a bite of her food. Erabeth let out a warm smile as she sat across from Riley, muttering a quick prayer before beginning to eat.

"Thank you for the food."

Erabeth nodded, letting out a smile as she slowly ate her food. Riley studied the wooden spoon in her hand, admiring the craftsmanship. Whoever had crafted the plates and silverware had etched fancy E's in all.

"Tell me what place ye came from?" Erabeth asked as Riley ate her stew.

"It's a lot different compared to here," Riley explained. She paused trying to figure out how to explain how everything was different without confusing the girl too badly.

"Well, everything is electronic. There are cell phones and cars and televisions. Also, the homes are much larger and keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and women get to wear pants and have so many more rights than this time period." Riley rambled.

"Dost they practice magic?" Erabeth asked.

"Yes, I guess so. They have schools where you can learn magic. I went to one, its just I wasn't aware I was a wizard until a few moments before my arrival here."

"These electronics, are they sorcery?" Erabeth asked.

Riley giggled as she shook her head. No, they were technology, but explaining how technology worked would probably fly right over Erabeth's head. It would be easier to just show her.

"Hold on one moment," Riley stated.

She stood from the table and she walked over to grab the clothes she had been wearing upon her arrival in the past. She rifled into her pants pocket, pulling out her cellphone. The thing still had an almost full battery, but the time and date were reading straight 9's, not able to pick up on this time period. Riley handed her phone over to Erabeth who studied the gadget with awe.

"Blessed treasure?" Erabeth asked as she examined Riley's iPhone.

"I wouldn't say its blessed or a treasure. These are common objects where I am from. Its a way that my people are able to keep in touch or entertain themselves with."

"How dost thou entertain thee?"

"Well, since WiFi isn't necessarily invented yet, nor cell service my phone is practically useless right now. One thing I can do is take pictures still. Would you like to take a picture with me?" Riley asked.