Chapter 39

Riley entered her final class of the day just as the bell was ringing. All eyes turned to face her as she went to take an empty seat. Immediately, she noticed that this was a very selective class just by the size of it. In total, there were six other students staring back at her, two of them being Luke and Derek. The other three she barely knew, but had seen around school.

There was Leila Noble, Luke's first cousin who bore a striking resemblance to him with sky blue eyes, modelesque features and long black hair. Next to her, sat her friend and Potions master's niece, Rachel Domingo who was just as beautiful as Leila with a dainty face, auburn waves, and hazel eyes that held so much power behind them. Both of these girls hung around Chelsea sometimes, but not enough for Riley to be well enough acquainted with them. Judging by the daggers they were shooting her way, Riley could sense they despised her.

Then there was Marcus O'Donovan, a scrawny boy with greasy black hair and an almost alien appearance to his face with sharp facial features sculpted around angry gray eyes. He was wearing the same black hoodie he wore everyday over his uniform and Riley was surprised that he was able to get away with it. Marcus always kept to himself and was rumored to be able to render a wizard unconscious with a flick of his hand. Riley let out a hesitant smile as she passed his desk. He responded with an annoyed grunt, not a fan of the attention.

Next to Marcus's desk sat Jeremy Ripley, the student body president. His brown hair was gelled back to perfection, not a single crease or wrinkle present in his uniform as he sat attention ready to learn some more. Luke had warned her that he was one to backstab someone in an instant and to be careful around him. Riley found it easier not to associate with him, avoiding eye contact as she passed the weasel studying her.

Luke and Derek had left the desk in between them open for her, which she graciously slid in. "Someone looks a little flustered." Luke winked.

"Hush, Luke." Riley sighed as Derek snickered.

"Its true, Riles. We all know where you disappeared to after lunch," Derek joked. Riley whipped around shooting him a glare causing him to flinch.

The boys quieted down as Spell-master Voisin entered the room. He was a scary sight to take in, with silver hair, and dark brown calculating eyes on a stern, sharp face.

"So, the three troublemakers finally decide to return to school." He sneered as he gazed at them causing the rest of the class to snicker. He shot the whole class a look bringing about silence in the room.

"Well, sir we missed your face." Luke grinned. Spell-master Voisin rolled his eyes as he ignored Luke's cheeky comments.

"Aww, Riley Towers. It is great we finally get to meet in person. I have heard of your abilities, which is why I selected you for this course." The spell-master said as he directed his attention to her.

"Sir, I really don't think what I have done is that spectacular. I'm sure there are plenty more wizards that surpass me in skills. I can't even apparate by myself."

"Modesty, that is a great trait to possess. I know you were the source behind the disappearing act." He explained. He concentrated on her mind, eyes furrowing once he realized he couldn't get through to her thoughts.

"And, A+ for shields." He stated.

"Huh?" Riley asked.

"He can't read your mind." Derek whispered into her ears. Riley questioned why a professor would try to read her mind. Then again, this was mentalist magic. It was a requirement to be able to block out intruders of the mind along with break into the minds of others.

"Now, we have been working on mental shields these past couple of weeks. I don't worry for you three, you have already mastered the shield compared to your peers." Spell-master Voisin stated.