Chapter 31

After a long and awkward dinner and tearful goodbyes to Riley's parents, Riley was glad to finally be able to have some peace and quiet in her new room as she poured over her textbooks trying to catch up with everyone else so she wasn't so far behind with her magical classes. Mr. Cleveland had conveniently placed Riley in the room on the same wing of the house as him to deter any late night visits between her and Kenny. Luke inhabited the room next door to her while Kenny, Nathan, and Chelsea had rooms on the opposite side of their Southern mansion.

Riley jumped at the sound of knocking on her door. "Come in!" She called as she glanced up from her Potions textbook. Her cat let out a hiss giving way her intruder.

"I see the she-devil still despises me." Luke smirked as he plopped down on Riley's bed, resting his head against her pillows as he kicked his smelly feet up next to Riley's nose where she hunched over her book studying.

Riley wrinkled her nose in disgust as she shot a glare at Luke. "Seriously?"

He just grinned as he wiggled his toes. She was glad he was in a better mood after his outburst earlier, even if that better mood resulted in antagonizing her with those death traps of feet.

"Studious, aren't we?" He questioned.

"We do have a reading assignment," Riley stated as she studied the Berserking potion before her eyes. She thought it was a bit twisted to be brewing a potion that could be used as a method to make its drinker a mindless zombie.

"Sweet, we are brewing some Berserking potion!" Luke grinned as he peered over her shoulder.

"Of course you would enjoy this," Riley replied as she flipped the page to examine the ingredients.

"Spell-master Domingo has a flare for the dark arts. His family has always been big on necromancy. Sucks they stopped allowing for necromancy to be taught in the high schools, though," Luke explained.

"Still, is this appropriate to be brewing?" Riley questioned.

"It's not necessarily considered a dark potion. There are no ill effects to the drinker, and the potency we are brewing is brief. It only has a two hour life span," Luke mumbled as he read the amounts required for the ingredients.

"But, you can make stronger versions?"

"Yes, but it also requires extra enchantments. This brew is a kitten compared to the beast you can create," Luke explained.

"Kenny?" Riley and Luke glanced up as their Headmaster was walking by. He paused when he saw it was just Luke.

"What are you two doing?" He questioned.

"I'm helping Riley review her potions homework," Luke replied with a grin.

"More like pester," Riley grumbled.

"At least he's finally opened a book,"the Headmaster muttered as he continued walking down the hallway. "Don't stay up too late studying, kids!" His voice echoed from down the hall as his bedroom door slammed shut.

"Pester? Really, Riles?" Luke grinned poking her side causing her to squeal.

"Stop it, I'm ticklish there!"

"I'll be sure to let Kenny know."

"Let Kenny know what?" Kenny asked with his arms crossed standing in the doorway.

"Kenny, save me please! Luke is pestering me!" Riley jokingly pleaded.

"She's ticklish on her sides."

Kenny walked over squeezing on the bed next to Riley as he glared at Luke. "I'd rather that if someone were to lay a hand on Riley in such sensitive places, it would be me."