Chapter 32

The next day of school for Riley went normally minus the usual Luke mouthing off to the Spell-masters and death glares from the female population in her Magical History class. Charms and Transfiguration was a breeze yet again as Riley slipped in her questions about enchanting an object to strengthen the magic versus using the wizard's essence. Her friends that were unaware of her plans gave her confused looks at the intensity of her questions. Even Spell-master Fitzgerald was stumped.

"Miss Towers, can you please quit pestering me with endless questions?" He snapped as he glared at her.

"Sorry, sir. Charms are just an interesting subject. I apologize if I ask to many questions," she responded with an innocent smile and flutter of her eyelashes. The old Spell-master sighed as he shook his head mumbling about today's youth dismissing the class 15 minutes early.

Riley approached him at the end of class with Nathan in tow. The two of them had decided to be the ones to stay after, seeing that Luke would just piss him off and Chelsea wasn't an avid fan of charms so it would be odd for her to take a sudden interest in the course.

"Mr. Daskin, Miss Towers; what an odd combination," Spell-master Fitzgerald said as he glared at them through narrow eyes.

"Sir, we just wanted to know what your thoughts are on the possibility of a mineral being used to act as a power source to enhance time," Nathan asked.

"What made you take a sudden interest in the Wiccan nature of magic?" He questioned.

"Its for a project Riley and I are doing for Independent Study. Headmaster Cleveland is waving Riley's lack of Elemental magic by allowing us to do a project. I was assigned to help her," Nathan explained.

"Oh, of course. Of course. Miss Towers must be completely lost being thrown into such a rigorous course load with no prior training," Spell-master Fitzgerald muttered, "But, to answer your question, it is a possibility depending on the scope of time you want to enhance. In your case probably an hour at most."

"Would it be possible to go further back than an hour?" Riley asked.

"That, I do not know. It will take an incredibly strong source to make the link that far back."

"Even if it is linked to the present? What about combining a variety of magic disciplines?" Riley questioned.

Spell-master Fitzgerald stroked his chin as he pondered the question at a loss for words. These kids were asking to do the impossible. No one had successfully combined sources of magic before. He narrowed his eyes at the Sorceress. "What you are suggesting is illegal. I suggest you stop pestering me before I notify the Council."

"There is nothing that states combining magic is illegal, just improbable," Nathan snapped.

"I suggest dropping the thought. If the Council were to believe I aided in an illegal quest misusing magic I could risk losing my job!" He yelled.

Nathan grabbed Riley by the shoulders guiding her out. "Come on, before we get in trouble."

"Yes, but is it possible?" She whispered, "Why is he reacting like that?"

"Because, you are thinking outside the box. It scares people like him," Nathan whispered. Riley nodded as she walked out into the hallway with him to see Chelsea and Luke anxiously waiting.

"Well?" Luke asked.

"He flipped out," Nathan replied.

"What, Nathan made a Spell-master mad?" Luke grinned, as he slapped his brother on the back. "Brother, I am proud!"