Chapter 30

Luke about knocked Kenny over as he went storming into the Cleveland's mansion that afternoon. Kenny knew Riley had knocked Luke through a wall in class, but it was odd to see Luke so furious. Less than a half hour later, Riley, Nathan, and a random black cat showed up. Kenny studied the cat, glancing over at Riley trying to decipher how the heck she got her hands on the fur ball. He suspected the cat was the reason for Luke's foul mood.

"I see the culprit for Luke's mood has finally arrived." Kenny cooed as he rubbed the cat's ears.

"Oooh, we finally get a pet!" Chelsea skipped down the steps to greet the others. She glanced up at Riley, a big grin on her face. "What's its name?"

"I'm torn between Kitty and Anna," Riley admitted.

Kenny felt the sudden shift of mood in the room as both Nathan and Chelsea tensed. Chelsea froze, her hand dangling over the cat's ears as she fought back tears. Nathan gulped, growing pale as he glanced over at Chelsea. Their attitude was upsetting Riley, and Kenny didn't like that one bit.

It wasn't like she was naming a baby for good grief. Though, Kitty would not be his first choice if that were the case.

"Let her name the cat what she wants," Kenny snapped as he glared at the two, "I don't understand why Anna is such a taboo name!"

"Because, that was my sister's nickname."

Luke's voice was cold as he appeared in the doorway to the living room. A dark expression clouded the kid's face, one Kenny hadn't seen in a while and hoped to never see again. His aura sent chills running down Kenny's spine by the blackness swelling inside threatening to spill out in Luke's anger and grief.

All that work Riley had done working to save him and the stupid boy had reverted back to the old anger filled slightly insane version of Luke dancing a fine line with the dark side. Kenny felt his fist clenching, really wanting to punch the boy just because he was making Riley feel uncomfortable.

"Luke, I'm sorry. I didn't know," Riley mumbled as she averted her gaze from his.

"Sure, I bet this is some sick joke," Luke spat.

Kenny couldn't control his temper anymore. He found himself lunging across the room, grabbing Luke by the collar of his shirt as he pinned him against the wall. How dare he accuse Riley of playing cruel jokes!

"Don't you dare accuse her of being cruel to you. Not once has she ever thought to hurt you, even after all the shit you pulled!"

"Kenny, calm down!" Riley tugged on his sleeve, diverting Kenny's attention.

Kenny slackened his grip, releasing Luke from his chokehold. He could feel the evidence of an uncast spell in his fists. The evidence of crackling sparks of magic laced his fingertips as he worked to calm his breathing.

Shit, I almost seriously hurt him.

Luke had noticed too, recognizing the spell. Kenny watched as the terror flashed behind Luke's eyes for a brief moment as he rubbed his throat. Luke shook his head, shoving past Kenny and storming out through the sunroom towards the gardens in a fury. Riley let go of Kenny, rushing after the boy.

"Riley!" Kenny cried.

It was too dangerous for her to follow Luke like this. She would just get hurt. Nathan and Chelsea began to follow after Riley and Kenny followed behind them, calling out her name. She just ignored them, waving her hand in the air and slamming the door shut in their faces to keep them from interfering. Kenny about broke his nose as he ran into the door.

"Damn it, Riley!" He shouted as he angrily kicked the door.

~~~~~

Riley couldn't stand that Luke was acting this way as she rushed after him, repeatedly shouting his name. He ignored her as he sped up his pace. It was almost impossible to keep up with his long legs as Riley was almost jogging behind him. She finally caught up with him at the gazebo. Panting out of breath, and ready to lay into him, Riley paused at the sight of him. This was the first time he had truly looked vulnerable as he sat there with his face in his hands as his body was racked with silent sobs.