eight | arcane

"Your Royal Highness, Princess Grecyn, welcome home!"

"Madame, your disembarkment attire has arrived.  Shall we dress you?" The two sweet lady's maids smiled, bowed, and held a coat of arms crested chest.

"Yes, I am ready."

I followed the maids into a division and they closed the screens before disrobing me.

"Your mother sent this agenda to familiarize yourself with while we prepare you." One of the maids handed a sheet of paper.

As I read the letter, I realized she lined up a lunch with just my parents and I, a dinner with my entire court and my parents, and teatime with her and Jaxton after midday. Tomorrow would be when I would wander around the palace and greet the ambassadors and find some time for myself.

A stylist came into the division to pull my hair into a low elegant bun, apply light makeup, and finish the deal with my tiara.

The screens were pulled aside and I looked aside into the main cabin, where the boys were dressed in their attire as well. Accidentally, I made eye contact with Maizon which we both escaped quickly and I glanced at the floor. I realized that this moment begins the divide between him and I, where I resume my position of power as heir to the throne.

"His Majesty insisted that you wear one of his royal robes, crested with the coat of arms,"  The stylist wrapped the heavy robe around my shoulders and secured it near my collarbones. The navy blue accented my cream dress and the nude pumps I chose over navy ones.

"Your Highness, are you ready to travel?" I nodded my head and made my way down the plane stairs.

The boys and I slid into separate limousines, theirs' white and mine black adorned with the Havonian flags and the Beauregard family crest.

The streets were lined with people waving the national flag, waving at me, or singing the national anthem. The crowd thickened as we reached the palace just before entering the gates.

After pulling into the culdesac inside the gates, we pulled up to the palace door. My door was opened and the driver took my hand to help me out of the car.

I fiddled with my fingers as I walked towards to door, Jaxton noticing it from my far right.

"Your Royal Highness," the doormen bowed their heads before swinging open the doors. My shoes tapped the floor as I drew further into the palace. More footsteps followed closely behind me. As I reached the turn at the end of the hallway, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

"Grecyn Belle!"

I felt all of the anxiety melt away as I met my father's gaze. The slow approach before the respectful curtsy felt like forever until I could finally jump into my parents' arms. I spent two years without this, how could I ever do that?

"My darling Belle, how I've missed you," my father swept a fallen hair from my face and tucked it behind my ear. His smile was as bright as the sun, but something seemed off. My mother smiled weakly and sent a concerned look my way when she noticed that I had slightly examined my father.

Instead of question him, I set the matter aside.

"Darling, it looks like your court has added a member. Care to introduce the gentleman? My mother had been looking past my shoulder through my court, and had caught the blonde commoner among the Princes.

"Maizon's just a friend from California that we'd brought along. You can meet him later, we'd like to get to settled. I'll meet you for tea soon, mother," my parents nodded and headed down another hallway.

"Grecyn, I need to tell you something."

I had just been unpacking my luggage with the help of a lady's maid when my mother had stepped in. The Queen had always been a regal and composed woman, but something had changed while I was away.

"Are you okay?" Being in the states caused me to lose my formality and it was painfully showing.

"It's your father. Before you left for Los Angeles,  he was diagnosed with a terminal disease.  We called you back to court because his days are now limited. Sweetheart, he's going to die any day now."

"Why didn't you tell me this before I left? I would've stayed and—"

"There was no time, we needed to give you a normal childhood before he passes. As a teenager, you'll become Queen but parliament wants a Regent. I doubt that Regent will be me," My mother wrapped her arms around me and rested her head atop of mine. "Things are going to change. The alliance between Havonia and England will need to be the strongest while you're still young. You'll be a target and marrying Jaxton will ensure your safety. He has his own throne which will never have to cause you to fight for power."

"Mother," I whimpered from inside her soft hold.

"I may not be able to help you, Parliament doesn't like me very much. You'll be on your own without Jaxton."

I nodded my head without saying a word. Too much was coming at me all at once.

"It will make sense one day, hopefully not soon," My mother slipped out of the room and gently closed the door.

sorry this one is short, if i knew it was this short i would've made it a lot longer