nine | player one

"Your Royal Highness, Prince Jaxton requests your presence in the garden," A palace guard notified me as I strolled through the palace's history gallery.

"Yes, thank you."

"Grecyn, where have you been since yesterday? No one's seen you since we unpacked," Jaxton took my hand in his and intertwined our fingers. I noticed his attempts of physical display of affection. My parents must've been nearby.

"I've been... busy."

"Not with Maizon, correct?"

"Of course not, I have more important things to attend to," I turned away from him and looked out at the garden.

"Well, I called you out here because of Maizon. I'd met a nice girl who'd I believe would be a great choice for Maizon to take to the Spring Ball. I wanted your approval," Jaxton smiled sweetly, then turned and welcomed tall young woman to join us.

She was undeniably gorgeous, flawless, and so regal she looked as if she should've been the queen.  When Elizabeth spoke, she spoke with class and intelligence. She was trained to become royal, to marry some Prince of some country, to become a Queen. She was more qualified for my throne than I was.

Jaxton was doing this to hurt me. To punish me for straying from what I was supposed to do. I was meant for him and no one else, and he was making sure that I couldn't have anyone else.

When Maizon joined the meeting in the garden, I took the chance to excuse myself.

"Cancel all of my schedulings for the remainder of the day. I am not feeling well." I ordered a lady's maid before hiding myself in my bed.

I had been in bed for a few hours before Jaxton came storming into my room.

"Grecyn, get up," he pulled my covers back but I yanked then over my legs again.

"Screw you, Jaxton!" I yelled and buried myself deeper.

"You're being ridiculous if your gonna hide in your room and avoid your duties because Maizon has a new girl. Rejection happens all the time. Just because you're a Royal doesn't exclude you from it."

"That wasn't rejection! You purposely did that to remind you that I am stuck with you! You want to hurt me to train me to love you. You mess with my insecurities and my heart to play in your favor!"

"I have to make you mine! There is no way you'll be loyal to me if you're still thinking of Maizon. I'm supposed to protect you, and I can't do that with him as a distraction! If I can't change your focus then I'd change his!" Jaxton slammed his fists down on one of the wooden tables. He looked at himself in the mirror in front if it before speaking again. "I know you still have his shirt."

I couldn't bring myself to look at him. I couldn't blame him for the guilt I felt, he was only trying to do what his duty was. To court, marry, love, and protect me until the day I die and our heirs create a dual country reign.

"I couldn't leave it behind."

"Because you still love him.

Your mother found his shirt in here. I wouldn't disrupt your personal space. She knows about your defloration. She wants to know whom. Meet her in her office, immediately."

I quickly removed myself from bed and pushed past Jaxton into the hallway.

"Yes, mother," I pushed her office doors open without a knock. She wanted to invade and so should I.

"The boy. Who is he?" Her voice was stern and cold, a sign for incoming punishment.

"He's Jaxton's friend. He offered to add him to the court and bring him here."

"And he was the one who took your virginity?"

"No!"

"Then who was it?!" She stood as she raised her voice at me. No matter how loud she yelled, I crossed my heart I wouldn't tell.

I turned away, unable to look at my mother as she yelled at me for something so... normal.

"So it was Maizon then. How do you think Jaxton is coping with the fact his future wife is no pure virgin? No pride in being the first to pleasure her! Taken to bed with no commitment whatsoever! With an American commoner!"

"Don't play that card! What about my pride in being the first to pleasure him?! Just a year ago, Jaxton was sleeping with girls left and right! When I did truly care for him, he did not care for me! That's when I found security in someone else!

You told me to go to California and live like a normal teen! This was part of feeling normal just for once!"

"That was not what your father and I meant! Wait until he hears about this!

Remove yourself from my presence!" I followed her orders and stormed from the office, slamming the doors shut behind me.

"Your Highness, I don't mean to step out of my place, but are you okay?" Elizabeth had come across my path back to my room.

"I had a meeting with my mother and we don't agree on... anything really. By chance, do you know where Jaxton may be?" I wanted her to like me, genuinely, not because I may be queen soon. I wanted intel even if I were to get in trouble for it.

"Maizon said they were meeting in the game parlor. Some important and private discussion."

"Nothing is private in my house. If you're not busy, would you like tag along? I'm sure the rest of the boys would like to meet you!" I stretched an arm out to her, and she took it. But not before slightly hesitating.

We traveled to the game parlor engaged in meaningless small talk.

"Are you sure that they wouldn't mind?" Elizabeth had a worried expression on her face. She must've followed the rules when it came to royals, fearing to misstep.

"Of course not, I've run this court since the day I was born."

Dramatically as I was, I pushed the double doors open with a large gesture. The boys froze in their places, hands cupped around glasses and playing cards. Jaxton stood against the wall behind the table, overshadowing the game.

I pulled away from Elizabeth and sauntered over to Jaxton. Everyone watched as I took his face in my hands and entwined our lips together. Jaxton was taken completely off guard, but pulled me in closer anyways.

"Hello, baby boy," I whispered against his lips when we pulled back. Jaxton was seemed unhappy about our first kiss, rightfully so. He already know what game I was playing.

"Boys, meet Maizon's new girlfriend, Elizabeth!" I smiled as Maizon sent a glare my way.

"Your Highness–" Elizabeth started but I cut her off before she could say anymore.

"Okay, maybe they're not dating but I hope you're going to the Spring Ball together. You'd look great with each other." Elizabeth blushed from where she stood in the middle of the room. After the awkward silence passed, the boys went back to their game.

"Sweetheart," Jaxton whispered as he left a soft kiss under my ear, "we need to talk."

"No, we don't."

"You're going to get yourself into some trouble," he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. I could feel his breath on the back of my neck. "I told you not to call me that again."

Jaxton's grip was tight on my hips, holding me close to his tightening trousers.

"What if I want things to change? What if I'm tired of faking something we actually felt for each other? Even if it were at different times? What if I do want you to make me love you again, but by pleasure instead of force?"

"I wonder what your mom would've thought if it were me who took your virginity," Jax stroked the back of my hip with his thumb. "Go to your room. I'll meet you there in an hour."