fourteen | preparations

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT

Jaxton had been gone for two months now. The rumors of his new girlfriend were neither confirmed nor denied, but she didn't exactly disappear either. They just became better at hiding their affair, less and less photographs being published online each week.

Against my father's approval, I denied my mother as my reagent and was working with Parliament for another choice.

My father was not doing well. He slept most of the day and could barely speak when I came to see him, but he did his best for me.

Today was the day that I would begin approving the preparations for my father's funeral. There was no doubt that in two months he would be gone.

"Ma'am, would a blue or black casket be preferred?"

"Black."

"It will be blue," I contradicted my mother and she glared at me from across the table.

"Black is traditional!" She protested. I raised an eyebrow at her, distinctly remembering that she agreed with my father that his casket would be blue.

The tension was evident and everyone in the room grew uncomfortable. My father had warned me that my mother had been a bit more wired than usual.

"I'm starting a new tradition. His casket will be royal blue with the Havonian and Beauregard family crest in gold," I smiled at her smugly but she refused to back down and accept defeat.

"I think it looks absolutely horrid, and the Queen's opinion is what goes."

"You won't be Queen when it's needed. And I suggest you get used to it, you'll be in it when it's your time," I stood and dismissed the meeting, leaving everyone in shock as I entered the hallway.

I pulled my phone from my back pocket and read the text from Nate asking me to join him for lunch in the garden. I pondered the idea before deciding that I should take advantage of the only free time in my schedule for the day.

I sauntered to the gazebo in the center of the garden where Nate, Easton, and Sebastian sat with hot apple cider and sandwiches.

"Don't you think it's a bit chilly of a day to have lunch out in the garden?" I mumbled as I rubbed my goosebump covered arms. Nate wrapped a heavy blanket around me as I settled in on the bench next to him.

"We wanted to talk to you. Grecyn, you haven't been yourself since he left. And we're all prepared for what comes when your father passes, but we don't think you are," Nate glances at with such worry. He's been worried about me a lot lately.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't think you can handle it. You're in such a fragile state right now that you barely hang out with us anymore. You've distracted yourself with so much work that you've been forgetting to eat!

When your father passes and Jaxton comes back, I'm afraid that you're going to completely drown within your pain. You have to allow yourself to heal before you take another bullet or you might not survive next time," Easton gently rubbed the back of my hand and I began to realize he was right. I had been losing weight, shutting my friends out, and obsessing over messing up with Jaxton. My friends were missing me, the happy me, the healthy me. 

"You're right," I admitted.

"Oh, that was easier than I thought," Sebastian shrugged.

"Well, what did you think was going to happen?" Nate sat up straight with a cynical expression.

"I genuinely thought that she was going to start yelling at us about being nosey and messing with her life or be in denial about Jaxton still caring for her."

Sebastian hasn't realized what came out of his mouth until it was too late. I felt the mood shift as my expression transitioned to downcast. Nate tried to cheer me up but the damage was already done. I was truly still in denial about Jaxton caring about me and Sebastian has brought it to light. I decided to leave lunch without having a single bite.

I dragged through the rest of my schedule. I had approved of a dress, the music arrangements, and the route for the outdoor walk for my father's funeral before returning to my room for the night. I had just dressed in satin pajamas before a soft knock came upon my door.

On the other side was Nate, who often came to check in with me if he didn't see me during the day. Why he came tonight was unknown to me.

"Anything I can help you with?" I smiled gently despite being exhausted.

"I know what Sebastian said really upset you today and I just wanted to know how you were doing," he closed the door behind himself after checking to be sure my mother nor her maids were nearby.

"I'm fine," I turned my back to him as I looked in my mirror and removed my earrings.

Nate closed in behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, grazing the any bare skin my button down shirt dared to reveal. He rested his head in the crook of my neck and stared at me in pure innocence.

He had no idea of the dirtiest thoughts running through my head. Jaxton leaving had our intimate night running in my head on repeat for months and left me starved of male contact. I was so sexually frustrated that just Nate's skin touching my bare stomach made my nipples harden, visible to him through my thin shirt.

"Grey."

"Nate, I need you to do me a favor, please."

"Anything for you," he began to leave light kisses on my next and I felt a moan growing in my throat.

"I need you to fuck me, like old times. Please," I begged. Nate lifted me by my waist and threw me into my bed before trapping me with his own body.

"Please what?"

"Please, Nate!" He moaned at the sound of his name and began to slowly unbutton my satin shirt. His fingers grazed by bare skin leaving behind a trail of fire dancing across my nerves.

I sat up to shimmy the fabric from my shoulders but he pulled it back to cover my shoulders but exposing my bare breasts. He rid me and himself of the rest of our clothes before pulling me on top of himself.

Jaxton and Nate had fairly different sexual demeanors. Jaxton had been trying to hold himself back but Nate never hesitated to go for what he wanted. There should have been no reason why I every time I closed my eyes I felt Jaxton. But I did, and as guilty as I felt, I pulled Nate closer to my body.

Nate loved to let me feign control. I'd always be on top but he'd keep his hands somewhere that he'd could use as leverage for deeper strokes. My hips, my arms wrapped around my back, my breasts, and sometimes my neck.

I allowed my body to override my brain and fell back into the moment with Nate.

"Si délicat," he moaned as he laid his head against my chest. My hands tangled themselves with his hair as he sat up and hit a new angle that left me seeing stars.

I wasn't in a proper state of mind to pronounce any words, nothing but throaty grunts and moans slipping past my lips. I was glad, I didn't want to moan Jaxton's name on accident.

My body froze as a furious orgasm tore through me. Nate wasn't far behind and he dragged his nails down the delicate skin in my back as he succumbed to his own.

As I let sleep carry me away, I wrapped myself within Nate's limbs as he muttered "Vous êtes tout à moi."