thirteen | engagement

"Marry me!" Nathaniel blurted out, chewing on his bottom lip.

"Excuse me?"

"Fucking marry me, Grecyn," This time Nate slid down to his knees, his eyes yearning me to say yes.

"Nate, I-"

"Listen Grey, I can provide military forces, I can move here if you need me to and I won't walk out on you when you need me most like Jaxton. You know I'll always be on your side no matter what but I don't need to be bribed to love you," he ran a gentle hand across my cheek, slowly cupping my face. "I will never get over you," Nate whispered against the delicate skin under my ear. His free arm wrapped itself behind my back, pulling my hips to his.

I was nearly grateful that Nate had tucked his face into the crook of my neck because I wouldn't be able to look at him with tears in my eyes.

Nate sighed and went limp against my body, trying to calm down. "I'm sorry, I've probably overwhelmed you," Nate took a step back and took my hands in his. He rubbed the back of them and it helped calm my racing heart.

"You should probably get to bed, you've got that appearance tomorrow," he turned swiftly before leaving and closing the door softly behind him. I could hear him speaking quietly to the guards outside the door about not letting anyone disturb me until the morning. After a few moments of discussion, he finally headed towards his room.

"Sorry to wake you, Your Royal Highness, but it is time to prepare you for your visit to the children's hospital today," A gentle hand shook my shoulder and I woke with a start. While there was only one lady's maid in the room, my entire routine was already prepped. Elizabeth sat beside my on my bed with a concerned look on her face. She glanced behind her to see if the maid was in earshot and whispered to me, "Princess, you look like you've been crying all night. Are you alright? If you're ill I can convince the Queen to reschedule."

"There's no need, I'm fine. What are you doing in my room?" I squinted at her questioningly. She offered me a soft smile and left my side and held up my outfit for the day.

"Prince Nathaniel had me wake you and help you prepare for the day. He told me that this was the outfit you're to wear and that everyone would be going with you today," I took notice of her outfit, fully dressed in semi formal attire. Her cream dress accented my cream jacket that was laid next to my navy dress.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, can you pass me my phone, please?" I checked my phone, disappointed when I noticed no returned calls from Jaxton. "Can you let Nate know I'll be ready shortly?"

"Of course," she quietly shut the door behind her and I dragged myself out of bed to get ready.

I had just stepped from my room when my mother's Royal Advisor approached me. The man was tall and middle aged, a light layer of scruff on his face.

"Good morning, Your Royal Highness. Her Majesty The Queen and I have agreed that we should discuss the announcement of the Queen as your regent as soon as possible."

"I will discuss it with my father."

"But Princess, The Queen believes this is an urgent announcement that should—"

"I will discuss it with my father." I repeated, this time in a tone that demanded he discard the subject. He looked at me with a shocked expression before nodding and heading back towards my mother's office.

I glanced at my iPhone somberly and stuck it in my purse. I threw my hair over my shoulder as I watched Nate approach me in a crisp navy suit. I couldn't let him know I was crying all night.